Re: clarification sought on publishing alt text document as a WG note

On 10/03/2014 10:19 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> For future reference and in attempting to better understand how the
> process works, can I please get an explanation of how a document[3] that
> it was agreed by consensus at the start of June 2014 by the HTML WG [1]
> and the HTML accessibility taskforce [2] was not published. The work to
> be done to publish this document as a note was/is mechanical and
> trivial, yet in Oct 2014 it has still not been published, and it has now
> appears to have been decided that the document's publication will not
> occur until unknown, possibly substantive changes have been made.
>
> What exactly does the HTML WG CFC process mean if decisions made via
> such process are delayed for months then set aside without recourse to
> the group?

I'll answer the HTML WG part.

The last status is that this is waiting on a PF CfC.  Checking the
records, this status is inconsistent with claims that were made in 17
July to 24 July time frame.  I'll investigate, and expect that this will
be discussed in the next WG telecon.

Meanwhile relevant links and extracts to telecon minutes are included at
the bottom of this email.

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2014Jun/0055.html
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2014Jun/0019.html
> [3] http://rawgit.com/w3c/alt-techniques/master/index.html
> [4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Oct/0005.html
> --
>
> Regards
>
> SteveF
> HTML 5.1 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>

- Sam Ruby

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/09/25-html-wg-minutes.html#item03

waiting on a decision from the Director on longdesc
... discussion on the alt document
... if the decision goes our way, we would rather publish a hearbeat but
not a final one
... to do more editing on it
... so changes in the expected status
... we'll need the approval from PF on the heartbeat

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/09/18-html-wg-minutes.html

No mention.

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/09/11-html-wg-minutes.html#item04

... Work continues on alt techniquest readiness for publication as a WG Note
... Finalization simply requires boilerplate work like date, copyright,
"look and feel" as a WG Note
... edits will be done next by TF staff contact

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-html-wg-minutes.html#item04

http://www.w3.org/2014/08/07-html-a11y-minutes.html#item03
paulc: we last week set a target of mid September to publish. We assume
it will be taken up at the 11 Sep A11Y Task Force meeting.

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-html-wg-minutes.html#item09

Sam: we need a new target...
Janina: mid-September? first priority is longdesc

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-html-wg-minutes.html

No meeting

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/08/14-html-wg-minutes.html#item08

http://www.w3.org/2014/08/07-html-a11y-minutes.html#item03
Delayed in the A11Y TF with target for Aug 21
Janina: Work on this is competing with longdesc CR work

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/08/07-html-wg-minutes.html#item08

Text alternatives WG Note
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Jul/0066.html
<paulc_> See http://www.w3.org/2014/08/07-html-a11y-minutes.html#item03
Discussed this recently at the A11Y task force call. Resource challenged
but expect it to happen in two weeks (August 21).

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-wg-minutes.html#item04

... also working on finalizing "text alternatives" WG Note do
... Janina and Steve will be talking today
... Paul will be dealing with Formal Objections on the previous "text
alternatives" work

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/07/24-html-wg-minutes.html#item04

<paulc> Text alternatives WG Note
http://www.w3.org/2014/07/17-html-a11y-minutes.html#item04
Approved but needs a little update to the status section prior to
publication.

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/07/17-html-wg-minutes.html#item05

janina: using Alt in HTML5 publication has been held up since the Status
section is inappropriate for a WG Note. It represented itself as an
Editors draft.
... The TF facilitators are going to fix this text before the publication.
... No new CfCs are required. Just fixing the STOD.
... techniques for providing text alternatives
<paulc>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2014Jun/0055.html

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/07/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item04

Paul: not sure why this is not published yet
... we have two formal objections pending on this one
... once it gets published as a WG Note, I'm hoping we can get the FOs
withdrawn

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/07/03-html-wg-minutes.html

No meeting.

*** www.w3.org/2014/06/26-html-wg-minutes.html

No mention.

*** http://www.w3.org/2014/06/19-html-wg-minutes.html

... second decision was for publication of WG Note on techniques for
providing useful text alternatives
<paulc> See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2014Jun/0055.html
Paul: I supposed we should ask the editor and team to publish