Re: @inert and @aria-inert for disambiguating modal states

Dominic, @inert is an indicator of state - like aria states and properties.
It does not have to do the actual function. I would prefer it be managed by
the browser but there was a request for this feature.

That said, we have nothing by way of @inert in SVG.

Personally, I am not in favor of aria supporting an inert attribute but
what it would do is say that these parts of the document do not process
input. To my knowledge, if someone were to create a modal dialog that
person would need to steel the keys and mouse input so that they are not
directed to areas outside the dialog box. In that scenario the browser does
NOT manage the inert state and the information is not conveyed to assistive
technologies.

Incidentally, I would prefer that authors use an HTML5 dialog element.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger