W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > March 2014

Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Teleconference, 27 March 2014

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 17:04:20 -0400
Message-ID: <533886D4.5050908@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hello,

The minutes for the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference 27 March 2014
are available in HTML and plain text below:

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2014/03/27-html-a11y-minutes.html

TEXT:

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

              HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

27 Mar 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/03/27-html-a11y-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Mark_Sadecki, janina, paulc, Plh, Cynthia_Shelly,
          Adrian_Roselli, Suzanne_Taylor, Judy, David_MacDonald

   Regrets
          John Foliot, Billy Gregory

   Chair
          Janina

   Scribe
          Cynthia Shelly

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Identify Scribe
         2. [5]Additional Clock Adjustments Coming
         3. [6]HTML-WG & Web Apps F2F
         4. [7]Reviving and Expanding Media Subteam
         5. [8]Longdesc Update
         6. [9]Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps
         7. [10]Alt Guidance & Next Steps
         8. [11]Table Summary Issues Redux
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 27 March 2014

Identify Scribe

   <paulc> [13]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tests-cr-exit/

     [13] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tests-cr-exit/

   <MarkS> scribe: Cynthia Shelly

Additional Clock Adjustments Coming

   <MarkS> scribeNick: cyns

HTML-WG & Web Apps F2F

   <MarkS> [14]HTML WG F2F Agenda

     [14] http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/wg/2014-04-Agenda

   <MarkS> [15]Register for HTML WG F2F

     [15] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/html-april-2014/

   <scribe> scribe: cyns

   JS: several of us going to html 5 f2f next week
   ... goal is to clear 5.0

   PL: will also make progress on 5.1.

Reviving and Expanding Media Subteam

   <MarkS> [16]Media Subteam Revival

     [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Feb/0049.html

   <MarkS> [17]Join the Media Sub-team

     [17] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/media-a11y-tf-2/

   JS: consensus on date and time from survey?
   ... I hear there was CSUN recruiting?

   MS: survey closes today. best time monday 11am EDT
   ... yes, made several contacts who are interested. should we
   leave it open for new members to respond? that will take some
   time

   JS: lets go ahead and start, adjust later if needed

   RESOLUTION: media sub team will resume teleconfereces mondays
   at 11AM EDT, starting next week

   MS: Erik Carlson from Apple expressed interest in rejoining

   JS: he was very active last time. this is good.
   ... next stage is content to allow testing the user
   requirements in user agents. media with video, captions,
   recorded audio descriptions, level based navigation, etc.

Longdesc Update

   JS: we need to respond to Sam.

   MS: making progress in CG, progress on implemenation testing
   and reporting continues. April 17 may be difficutl to meet,
   probably first week of May instead.

Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps

   JS: we expect to have a draft of exit criteria in about 2 weeks

   MS: new draft of L1, hoping to get to rec by end of year.
   continuing feedback from msft and mozilla. waiting for for
   feedback from google. will ask dominic for feedback this week.
   ... we will cooperate as much as possible with what-wg, but
   will deviate in some places. we think these are legit issues in
   that spec, and will also file bugs there

   JS: need to let Sam know if we are on track. we should know
   more after monday's draft.
   ... our 2 impl are mozilla and chrome.

   PC: how close are those implemenations to what you're
   proposing?

   MS: rick said it wouldn't take that long. i dont know about
   dominic. he plans to get to it soon, but doesn't have date.

   JM: there is some concern from rick about changes making
   additional complexity. there may be more discussion.

   PC: I think you should respond to Sam's email about what
   implementations you're using. Say how aligned they are, or that
   you need more time.

   JS: would prefer to answer that next week
   ... Mark has done a lot of work to get feedback from Dominic.
   Thank you, Mark.

Alt Guidance & Next Steps

   JS: need steve faulkner

   PC: here's my concern. I asked if steve's work is in 5.1 and
   how much needs to be moved to 5.0.
   ... 5.0 is now down to zero bugs. I don't want a cfc that says
   we're done, and have a11y-tf say no, we're still working on alt
   guidance.

   JS: I agree.

   PC: there are no bugs on alt text. that says there is no work.
   but steve's plan was to port back from 5.1.

   DM: I talked to steve at csun, and I get the sense that he's
   done or almost done. I think we're close to moving it over.

   JS: I need to ping him and find out the status. time is running
   out.
   ... Looking at the content, it is close, if not fully synched
   up. Need to verify taht work is done.

   PC: once work is done, task force can declare that we don't
   need the alt text doc. we can add status to that saying that
   it's been incorporated.
   ... I don't want task force to discover late that the work
   isn't done, and wg wants to move forward.

   JS: we have 1 more tf call before the f2f. we need to close
   this next week.

   PC: that would be good. I'm not insisting. chairs are assuming
   there are no more bugs except at risk features. if tf thinks
   there is more alt techniques work that needs to be done, best
   way to signal that is to open 5.0 bugs.

   <SteveF> sorry I am here but also in a work meeting

   <SteveF> AS far as I am concerned what is in 5.1 but not in 5.0
   just needs to go into 5.0 and we are done

   PC: steve enumerated bugs that were outstanding, there were
   some that weren't in 5.0

   DM: can confirm that there are things in 5.1 and not in 5.0
   ... there is still a port.

   JS: I think Paul is asking for bugs for the ports.

   <SteveF> There is an issue with the PF in regards adding a link
   to other advice - but a) no bug has been filed and b) its a
   minor editorial addition (form editors point of view)

   PC: yes. I asked a month ago for which are being moved

   <SteveF> I will go through and mark 5.1 bugs that have been
   resolved and need to be ported as CR bugs

   PC: wg needs to knwo when backport is done. would like a clear
   statement about the changes made and to be made.

   <SteveF> I would hazard that the remaining woll be back ported
   next time robin does a cherry pick to 5.0

   PC: editors had an agreement to go to 0 bugs on 3/15 and we've
   known about this since feb. as soon as he marks these 5.0,
   we're out of 0 bugs, and I'm not happy about that

   <SteveF> They will be resolved bugs - what is the issue?

   JS: had a request in wai to aditional guidance.

   JB: yes, tehre should be a bug on that

   JS: we need a location to point to

   PC: why is this not done? we're in the end game here.
   ... Steve, I don't understand how Robin knows which items are
   going to be back ported. are they marked editorial?
   ... I will start a thread with steve and robin on editors list
   ... I expect html5 to go back to last call, as described in
   plan 2014, in june. there will likely be a heartbeat after
   april meeting. I would like no changes between heartbeat and
   last call.

Table Summary Issues Redux

   JS: at csun we talked about what issues might be left over.
   table summary needs some editorial work. close gap btwn wcag
   and html

   MS: bug from Joshue Oconnor. one to bring back summary. one
   that table examples need work
   ... we all agreed taht it wasn't worth the fight to bring back
   summary. we have better alternaitves on teh horizon
   ... close old bug, open new one against 5.1 suggesting improved
   examples. Josh will create some better techniques in wcag.
   ... thoughts?

   JS: one possible replacement in aria draft
   ... aria 1.1
   ... don't hear any disagreement. If we get consensus fast
   enough on 5.1, may ask to port back to 5.0.

   DM: currently no solution.

   MS: details/summary is no longer at risk. is that right?

   DM: not programitcally associated with table, but implemented
   in chrome

   MS: can put it in the caption

   DM: don't think that works with AT.

   MS: let's run some tests
   ... I think this may work in FF too

   JS: also need to find out where we are with support for
   aria-describedat. I'll find out

   MS: no quorum this week. summary was most pressing issue.

   <David> [18]http://www.davidmacd.com/test/details.html

     [18] http://www.davidmacd.com/test/details.html

   <MarkS> [19]http://caniuse.com/details

     [19] http://caniuse.com/details

   <David> above is the Table Summary tests

   <MarkS> these are static test results. we should probably re
   run these

   <David> They are tests from the time I made the files several
   moths ago

   <David> Sure... I hope things are getting fixed...

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([21]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-03-27 18:28:49 $

     [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Sunday, 30 March 2014 21:04:17 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:38 UTC