W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > March 2014

Re: Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Teleconference, 13 March 2014

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:45:24 -0400
To: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Cc: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20140313174524.GA8197@concerto.rednote.net>
I was wrong on today's call. The April 2011 WG decision removing table
summary relied on the expectation that ARIA-DescribedBy could fill the
gap:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0091.html

So, not Details and Summary.

And, of course, there was misunderstanding about DescribedBy that was
not cleared up until late in 2012 when PF's formal objection regarding
hidden content was resolved.

Janina

Mark Sadecki writes:
> Hello,
> 
> The minutes for the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference 13 March 2014 are available in HTML and plain text below:
> 
> HTML:
> http://www.w3.org/2014/03/13-html-a11y-minutes.html
> 
> TEXT:
> 
> 
>      [1]W3C
> 
>       [1] http://www.w3.org/
> 
>               HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference
> 
> 13 Mar 2014
> 
>    See also: [2]IRC log
> 
>       [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/03/13-html-a11y-irc
> 
> Attendees
> 
>    Present
>           Janina, Mark_Sadecki, Judy, Cynthia_Shelly, John_Foliot
> 
>    Regrets
>           Adrian_Roselli
> 
>    Chair
>           Janina
> 
>    Scribe
>           MarkS
> 
> Contents
> 
>      * [3]Topics
>          1. [4]March Meeting Schedule & Additional Clock
>             Adjustments
>          2. [5]Identify Scribe
>             http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
>             ibe_List
>          3. [6]March Meeting Schedule & Additional Clock
>             Adjustments
>          4. [7]HTML-WG & Web Apps F2F
>             http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/wg/2014-04-Agenda
>          5. [8]Reviving and Expanding Media Subteam
>             http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2
>             014Feb/0049.html
>          6. [9]Longdesc Update
>          7. [10]Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps
>          8. [11]Alt Guidance & Next Steps
>          9. [12]Bug Triage: Review of Resolved Bugs tracked by TF
>      * [13]Summary of Action Items
>      __________________________________________________________
> 
>    <trackbot> Date: 13 March 2014
> 
>    <janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference
> 
> March Meeting Schedule & Additional Clock Adjustments
> 
> Identify Scribe
> [14]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List
> 
>      [14] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List
> 
>    <scribe> scribe: MarkS
> 
> March Meeting Schedule & Additional Clock Adjustments
> 
>    JS: propose we skip next week with the CSUN conference taking
>    place.
>    ... assuming that today's low attendance may be due to time
>    change.
> 
>    [pinging various people]
> 
> HTML-WG & Web Apps F2F
> [15]http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/wg/2014-04-Agenda
> 
>      [15] http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/wg/2014-04-Agenda
> 
>    JS: Chaals has announced that he will not be able to attend
>    HTML WG F2F
>    ... Mark will be there focusing on Canvas
> 
>    JB: Want to make sure that we are prepared for any issues that
>    may be raised during the F2F in regards to a11y.
> 
>    JS: They will be clearing all the bugs. Zero issues and zero at
>    risk items
> 
>    CS: They will not be clearing any 5.1 bugs. focus is on 5.0
> 
>    JB: have we done the comprehensive check? Should we do a walk
>    through now?
> 
>    JS: Not sure what's at risk.
> 
>    [16]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/CR/
>   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/CR/
> 
>      * Application Cache
>      * <dialog>
>      * <details> and <summary>
>      * <input type=color>
>      * <input type=datetime>, <input type=month>, <input
>        type=week>, <input type=time>, <input type=datetime-local>
>      * <output>
>      * <style scoped>
>      * <iframe seamless>
>      * Custom scheme and content handlers (registerProtocolHandler
>        and registerContentHandler)
>      * Outline algorithm
>      * UA mechanism for navigating to resources linked to in
>        cite="", see Bug 18915 for more.
> 
>    CS: no concerned about any of these
> 
>    JF: A little concerned about details and summary
> 
>    MS: Steve has been discussing the outline algorithm on the
>    lists
> 
>    JF: It's fantasy at this point
> 
>    JS: It's not gonna happen if there are no implementations.
> 
>    MS: details and summary
> 
>    JS: we will have that covered in aria soon.
> 
>    JF: we were using that as a solution for the removal of the
>    summary attribute on tables
> 
>    CS: have that well covered with aria-describedby and
>    aria-label, etc.
>    ... think we should make it a work item for 5.1
> 
>    JB: We don't have a workflow for keeping these on our radar.
> 
>    JS: we have a 5.1 list.
>    ... its linked in the agenda. probably need to update it and
>    look at it more frequently
> 
>    [17]Current open HTML 5.0 Issues
> 
>      [17] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/open
> 
>    JS: nothing to concern us here.
> 
>    [18]Current open HTML 5.0 CR bugs
> 
>      [18] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=HTML5%20spec&keywords=CR%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=33558&product=HTML%20WG&query_format=advanced
> 
>    MS: Just David MacDonald's bug RE headshots. Steve has said he
>    is working on this.
> 
> Reviving and Expanding Media Subteam
> [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Feb/0049
> .html
> 
>      [19] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Feb/0049.html
> 
>    [20]https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/media-a11y-tf-2/
> 
>      [20] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/media-a11y-tf-2/
> 
>    Open for 7 days after CSUN so any interested members have time
>    to fill out the survey
> 
>    JB: should we send around timezone links since the dates in the
>    survey are only good for 2 weeks?
> 
>    MS: I will send around links to timeanddate.com that are
>    adjusted to the future dates so they are accurate for when the
>    group would start meeting, not during this daylight savings
>    time limbo.
> 
> Longdesc Update
> 
>    MS: The coordination team continues to make progress on the
>    Exit Criteria. We are getting closer to reaching consensus.
>    Good news is the implementation report is getting developed in
>    parallel.
> 
> Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps
> 
>    [21]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/2dcontext/html5_canvas_CR/
>    #hit-regions
> 
>      [21] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/2dcontext/html5_canvas_CR/#hit-regions
> 
>    MS: After reviewing the draft I proposed last week at our
>    weekly teleconfernce, we came to agreement on a version of Hit
>    Regions that could be reintegrated back into the L1 Spec.
>    ...Jay Munro has already taken care of that.
>    ...Rik may have identified a couple of additional issues which
>    we will be discussing at our next meeting.
> 
>    JS: Just wanted to say that after attending the last two
>    meetings, I was impressed at seeing how well that group
>    operates.
> 
>    MS: They have all been great to work with.
> 
> Alt Guidance & Next Steps
> 
>    JS: Steve will be giving us an update at CSUN. HTML chairs are
>    expecting it.
> 
> Bug Triage: Review of Resolved Bugs tracked by TF
> 
>    MS: All of the bugs discussed in the last 3 months in both the
>    TF and the Triage subteam have been processed according to the
>    new directives we received from Paul last week.
>    ...While reviewing all of those bugs, I created a wiki page
>    that lists bugs I felt were left in an unresolved state and may
>    require further work.
>    ...Some are dependent on groups that are not currently active
>    (media) or don't exist yet (aria sub teams)
> 
>    [22]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Current_Bug_Triage_Issu
>    es
> 
>      [22] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Current_Bug_Triage_Issues
> 
>    [23]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13129
> 
>      [23] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13129
> 
>    JF: summary attribute is obsolete. went to a vote.
> 
>    JS: weren't we promised that details and summary would cover
>    this use case?
>    ... and now that is at risk...
> 
>    JB: assuming we are talking about 5.1 here. We can't make
>    enough progress on this in reasonable time.
>    ... is there an angle we can pursue in 5.1 for this?
> 
>    JF: the argument against summary was the same they used against
>    longdesc, hidden metatdata.
>    ... the fact that details/summary is at risk means we probably
>    need to follow up with this in 5.1 or we reverse the decision
>    to remove summary attribute and propose an extension spec
> 
>    JS: we should go back in read the decision. it would be easy to
>    put summary back in. going back into LC is a good time to do
>    that.
>    ... I am personally not for putting summary back in, since we
>    have good coverage by aria. But we do have options.
> 
>    CS: If you're going to do something, an extension spec would be
>    the way to do it. This bug isn't about that though. Its about
>    accessible tables.
> 
>    JB: the F2F could be a good time to address this with the WG.
> 
>    JF: all of those interested in this will be at CSUN. Should we
>    have a sit down and talk about this?
>    ... could talk about this at the WCAG F2F
>    ... look for techniques
> 
>    JS: implementations are still there
> 
>    CS: John, can you put something together?
> 
>    JF: yes, probably a working breakfast, maybe thursday
> 
> Summary of Action Items
> 
>    [End of minutes]
>      __________________________________________________________
> 
> 
>     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [24]scribe.perl version
>     1.138 ([25]CVS log)
>     $Date: 2014-03-13 16:16:48 $
> 
>      [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
>      [25] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
> 

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair,	Protocols & Formats	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
	Indie UI			http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/
Received on Thursday, 13 March 2014 17:45:47 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:38 UTC