W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > June 2014

[MEDIA] Minutes for Media Sub-Group 16 JUN 2014

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:07:31 -0400
Message-ID: <539F5C93.30806@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
CC: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, eric.carlson@apple.com, Adrian Roselli <Roselli@algonquinstudios.com>, Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>, Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org>, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, Wu Wei <wuwei@w3.org>
Thanks to everyone who attended today's Media Sub-Group meeting.  Below are the
minutes in HTML and text format.

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-minutes.html

TEST:
     [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

              HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

16 Jun 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Mark_Sadecki, Shane_McCarron, Janina, Kazuyuki, Clarke
          Stevens, wu wei

   Regrets
          daniel davis

   Chair
          Mark Sadecki

   Scribe
          janina

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Identify Scribe
         2. [5]TV & Web: Use Cases and Requirements (update)
         3. [6]Processing Media Accessibility User Requirements
            Comments
         4. [7]Media Accessibility User Requirements (next steps)
         5. [8]CableLabs presentation
         6. [9]Full Transcript
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 16 June 2014

   <MarkS> Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Media Sub-Group

Identify Scribe

   <scribe> scribe: janina

TV & Web: Use Cases and Requirements (update)

   ms: Update ... I and js met with IG leads during AC, talked
   about steps forward
   ... perhaps a spin of our reqs doc specifically for
   broadcast/cable

   ms tbc

Processing Media Accessibility User Requirements Comments

   ms: we will wrap next heartbeat first
   ... believe we're caught up on comments
   ... Agreed to change title, look at possible updates,
   ... removed email ref

   js: behind on my action, but will do via email by tuesday

   ms: I'll draft candidate responses to req comments for our next
   call

   <MarkS> ACTION: MarkS to draft comment responses for MAUR
   [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#a
   ction01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-267 - Draft comment responses for
   maur [on Mark Sadecki - due 2014-06-23].

Media Accessibility User Requirements (next steps)

   ms: finl steps before hb
   ... also need vocab review, please propose any change via email
   ... Once we have new 4.8, we should move to pub
   ... Pub should be easy, as it's a hb
   ... Proposing 26 June

   <MarkS> ACTION: MarkS to publish heartbeat draft of MAUR by
   2014-06-26 [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#a
   ction02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-268 - Publish heartbeat draft of maur
   by 2014-06-26 [on Mark Sadecki - due 2014-06-23].

CableLabs presentation

   <Clarke> User Clarke Stevens shared the file "DVS Dual Labeling
   6-16-2014.pptx" with you. It is available for download here:
   [13]https://owncloud.cablelabs.com/public.php?service=files&t=c
   93b3b23f897e70d5398c3c8e18be9bd

     [13]
https://owncloud.cablelabs.com/public.php?service=files&t=c93b3b23f897e70d5398c3c8e18be9bd

   cs: Has three slides in the ppt
   ... Wants to discuss labeling for video descript in traditional
   broadcast
   ... Don't think there's any impact on this group, but worth
   checking
   ... Also informs us what's happening

   js: asks to clarify that cs means traditional video descript

   cs: when additional audio track is sent, tend to use SAP
   ... or second audio track
   ... traditionally labeled as "spanish"
   ... In CA it's labeled as "middle English"
   ... Turner labels it "Portugese"
   ... using ac3 lang descriptor
   ... also an audio descriptor
   ... bsmod available for labeling
   ... also provides lang identifier
   ... uses iso639
   ... if using this descriptor, labeling is accurate
   ... people should be using it, the ac3 audio descriptor
   ... Cable has proposed "dual labeling" labeling both as
   "spanish" and also (correctly) in ac3 audio descriptor
   ... assumption is the older sets will not parse ac3
   ... newer equipment will use ac3
   ... testing to date proves this
   ... Taken this proposal to CEA Media
   ... Accepted, also Sony has tested
   ... also gone to NAB, tentavie agreement there
   ... Bob Lund and Silvia Pfeiffer believe already accounted for
   in our HTML text track

   ms: So traditional SAP marker is being used as a fallback

   cs: Supports older equipment which doesn't know AC3

   <Clarke> "Elephant's Dream_DVS_DD_v2.mpg" is available here:
   [14]https://owncloud.cablelabs.com/public.php?service=files&t=b
   1acaa4dc1f4b8e311ef71eada5fb547

     [14]
https://owncloud.cablelabs.com/public.php?service=files&t=b1acaa4dc1f4b8e311ef71eada5fb547

   cs: This is a test stream that illustrates this
   ... Motiviation is industry accepted solution before any regs
   ... Can be updated, when new equipment becomes ubiquitous

   JS: this sounds good to me. I was wondering what the capacity
   in digital transport for this alternative content is. Is there
   any possibility to send multiple language audio tracks

   js: Asks about ability to support more than one additional
   secondary track

   cs: designed to support the web case where numerous tracks are
   supportable, and all could be correctly labeled
   ... I have a white paper that shows this in preparation
   ... includes marker for "hearing impaired audio," what we are
   calling "clean audio."

   sm: notes that Minnesota public broadcasters chose to use their
   bandwidth for multiple video channels

   ms: asks about epg, and what data is available to show

   JS: parallel secondary video track, someone might actually
   create a second track that a deaf person would use instead of
   captions because it would be signed, PiP.

   ...i believe a set of language indicators that made a
   distinction between the different intl sign-languages

   <Zakim> just, you wanted to clarify about multi-tracks in
   minnesota

Full Transcript

   ms: Noting TF wish list for html.next

   <MarkS> [15]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Full_Transcript

     [15] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Full_Transcript

   JS: I also want us to discuss putting together a working demo
   that showcases all of the features and permutations of
   accessible video

   ...i think we had various reps industry to help us put this
   together.

   MS: I think we would need to identify the video first, then
   begin gathering accessible tracks

   JS: I can reach out to Suzanne Taylor. would like a review of
   my email, proposal to her.

   ...RE: transcript, this can be done in 5.1. timeline. there has
   been work done on this already.

   ...we have authority under plan 2014 to do this.

   ...no agreement on which approach to take

   ...possibly publish both

   ...AAPL approach was to put a link to the video nearby to the
   transcript

   ...GOOG approach was more elaborate to the point where it
   started to be confused with captions

   MS: sounds like we need to find out where we left off with
   those

   JS: I need to do that. the interest was mainstream.

   MS: can we use aria to achieve this?

   JS: for apples approach, yes

   ...would be a good idea

   [16]http://www.fastcodesign.com/3021522/innovation-by-design/mi
   t-invents-a-shapeshifting-display-you-can-reach-through-and-tou
   ch

     [16]
http://www.fastcodesign.com/3021522/innovation-by-design/mit-invents-a-shapeshifting-display-you-can-reach-through-and-touch

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: MarkS to draft comment responses for MAUR
   [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#a
   ction01]
   [NEW] ACTION: MarkS to publish heartbeat draft of MAUR by
   2014-06-26 [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#a
   ction02]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [19]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([20]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-06-16 21:03:53 $

     [19] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Monday, 16 June 2014 21:08:20 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:39 UTC