Re: Call for consensus - longdesc to CR

A few comments inline.

> On Jul 25, 2014, at 6:07 PM, Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Note that I merely highlighted inaccuracies in Ted's email, I did not
> speak in support or against @longdesc.

I understand. Thank you. I was also just pointing out clarifications of your response.

> It is my understanding that the EPUB specification does not formally
> recommend a particular method for out-of-line descriptions (internal
> to the publication package, or external e.g. HTTP URI). However, there
> are ongoing efforts exploring the state of the art, including
> aria:describedBy, and potentially aria:describedAt too (which are not
> restricted to images, but can be used to describe tabular data, etc.).

As the current editor of the ARIA spec, I added @aria-describedat to the ARIA 1.1 working draft because it gathered majority vote in the working group, despite my objections and lack of group consensus. @aria-describedat has all the same problems as @longdesc, but also breaks an established and generally accepted ARIA pattern of not modifying the mainstream UI of the host language. Accessibility-conscious user agent developers from Mozilla and Google raised similar objections to @aria-describedat.

James

>>> http://www.idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-publications.html#sec-resource-locations