W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > April 2014

Minutes from HTML Accessibility Media Sub-Group Teleconference - 28 APR 2014

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:36:25 -0400
Message-ID: <535E9FA9.9090502@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
CC: shane@aptest.com, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>, Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org>, Adrian Roselli <Roselli@algonquinstudios.com>
The minutes are available in HTML and text for your reference.  Other details
related to the Media Sub-Group, including an archive of meeting minutes, are
available on their wiki: <https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Sub-Group>

<http://www.w3.org/2014/04/28-html-a11y-media-minutes.html>

Text:

     [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

           HTML Accessibility Media Sub-Group Teleconference

28 Apr 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/04/28-html-a11y-media-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Mark_Sadecki, Kazuyuki, Adrian_Roselli, Janina

   Regrets
   Chair
          Mark Sadecki

   Scribe
          MarkS

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Identify Scribe
         2. [5]Web & TV IG: Collaboration on Use Cases and
            Requirements (10 min)
         3. [6]Media Accessibility User Requirements (Continued)
            (30 min)
         4. [7]Adding Mark as Editor
         5. [8]Processing Comments (Continued)
         6. [9]3.3 Extended Video Descriptions
         7. [10]3.5 Content navigation by content structure
         8. [11]3.7 ECC-4 Enhanced Captions/Subtitles
         9. [12]Publishing another draft
        10. [13]Reviewing minutes from Shenzhen
        11. [14]Open Media Bugs for 5.0 and 5.1 (10 min)
     * [15]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   trackbot, associate this channel with #html-a11y

   <trackbot> Associated this channel with #html-a11y.

   <trackbot> Date: 28 April 2014

   <scribe> Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Media Sub-Group

Identify Scribe

   <scribe> scribe: MarkS

Web & TV IG: Collaboration on Use Cases and Requirements (10 min)

   <kaz> [16]Munich workshop minutes, March 2014

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2013/10/tv-workshop/minutes.html

   MS: Talked with Kaz and Daniel Davis from Web and TV IG

   <kaz> [17]http://www.w3.org/2011/09/webtv/minutes.html#session4
   Hollywood ws minutes

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2011/09/webtv/minutes.html#session4

   KA: we've had a number of workshops. At the last one we had a
   specific session on accessibility. Work tends to focus on
   captioning and subtitles. There is some discussion that we need
   to consider additional things for TV accessibility
   ... I mentioned that Mark was interested in collaborating with
   our group

   MS: do you have any reference to your current work?

   <kaz> [18]use cases from the 1st iteration

     [18] https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Use_Cases

   KA: we haven't really started second iteration yet, but here is
   link to our first iteration of work.
   ... second screen applications.
   ... how to share content and search content.

   JS: in a group setting, second screen becomes very important.
   You can tailor the accessibility needed to individuals in the
   group.

   KA: there is a community group for second screen discussions.
   There is talk of a special API for this.

   <aardrian> Second Screen Presentation Community Group:
   [19]http://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/

     [19] http://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/

   JS: we have our Media Accessibility User Requirements document.
   We have taken up that document again, a new working draft of
   that document should be published in June. Depending on the
   number of comments, we may do a Last Call in August and
   hopefully become a W3C note in the fall, ahead of TPAC

   KA: Would be a good idea to have a joint meeting at TPAC

   JS: would be good to include use cases based on the scenarios
   in the accessibility document.
   ... we are also looking to work with members to find content
   that we can release into public domain, and demonstrate
   accessible media.
   ... navigating by structure, sign language translation,
   multiple languages.

   KA: would this include DAISY and ebooks?

   JS: the navigation model in those applies to media as well. Not
   just next and previous, but more granular control.
   ... need to be able to adjust the granularity

   MS: should we talk about a work flow? want to make sure we
   don't miss opportunity to contribute to Web and TV Use Cases

   KA: It makes sense for me to provide use cases based on your
   user requirements document.

   MS: and we would be glad to review that work.

   JS: What is the timeline for this second iteration of work

   KA: policy and procedure is to put ideas on the groups wiki,
   then hold teleconferences, then to publish the document as a
   group note. Usually takes 6 months.
   ... just getting started on second iteration.
   ... next call is on Wednesday, 30 Apr.. I can talk about this
   idea on that call.
   ... I would like to bring this to the group chairs to get their
   feedback.
   ... I remember discussing the media requirements document 3
   years ago. I have reviewed this document again and this work is
   great. We need to consider this again.

   JS: We worked very hard to make sure it was comprehensive.
   ... hope to publish it as a note soon.
   ... good conversations in 2011 regarding techniques for
   implementing these features.

   KA: we also have a Community Group for tuner controls, which
   also have accessibility implications. Just an API might not be
   enough.

Media Accessibility User Requirements (Continued) (30 min)

Adding Mark as Editor

   JS: We agreed that this should be done and all we need to do is
   add your name to the document.

Processing Comments (Continued)

3.3 Extended Video Descriptions

   ->
   [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Ap
   r/0081.html suggested text

     [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Apr/0081.html

   JS: suggest we drop one sentence and add a couple more
   ... problem is that user is in charge of how fast TTS works. no
   way for the author to know, unless its short text description,
   how much time there is to get it in.
   ... every text description, as to be thought of as extended
   text description, which would require pausing the video
   ... in a situation where the user is in a group environment,
   this could get confusing
   ... we can make them reviewable "offline"
   ... as a text file
   ... good discussion in 2011 regarding options for user control
   of this feature.
   ... options to auto pause, or truncate, etc.

   KA: would require very precise time sync?

   JS: yes, not only precise time, but knowing whether TTS is
   still talking and auto-pause the video
   ... WGBH brought this to our attention using a courseware demo.
   The description is elaborate enough that the video needs to be
   paused to get the description in.
   ... would be appropriate for student to auto pause when
   watching by themselves, but not in a class setting.
   ... user decides how fast the TTS goes

   KA: important point.

   RESOLUTION: Accept proposed text found in
   [21]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Ap
   r/0081.html.

     [21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Apr/0081.html

   MS: I can make that change then.
   ... the next issue was regarding Clean Audio and is in the same
   email

   JS: that one turned out to be simple. In our last call, in a
   private viewing situation, the user would want the clean audio
   version to be the primary/replace the primary audio.
   ... in a group situation, they would probably wear headphones.
   ... viewing alone, they would probably want to set their TV to
   play only the clean audio, and drop the primary audio track.
   ... added a line that clarified that point.

   RESOLUTION: Accept proposed text found in
   [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Ap
   r/0081.html.

     [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Apr/0081.html

   MS: I can make that edit as well

3.5 Content navigation by content structure

   ->
   [23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Ap
   r/0070.html Suggested rewrite

     [23] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Apr/0070.html

   AR: makes sense to me

   JS: I am in favor of this change

   MS: I will make this change in the doucment

3.7 ECC-4 Enhanced Captions/Subtitles

   MS: I spoke with Christian Voegler who wanted to know the
   background on this particular reguirement.
   ...I did some digging in old minutes and records and found that
   Siliva Pheiffer added the text originally
   ...I contacted her and she said that she took it directly from
   CEA708 but that we could remove it if no one thought it was
   necessary.

   JS: I don't think this was controversial when we originally
   added it.
   ... "author proposes and user disposes" is the paradigm we
   should support.

   [24]http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/#ECC-4

     [24] http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/#ECC-4

   JS: i think the more interesting part is the concept of
   overlapping speech. traditional TTY communications.

   RESOLUTION: keep ECC-4 as is.

   JS: If you caption an Opera, you should at least be able to see
   the overlapping words.
   ... should be overlapping and should be able to pause.

Publishing another draft

   JS: Michael and I talked about this. Once comments are done
   being processed. Take about a week to respond to commenters,
   another 2 weeks to allow for correspondence, and then another
   week to get the edits in, then a week for publication prep,
   etc. We thought June 16 was a good target date, considering the
   moratorium. Depending how that goes, a Last Call sometime in
   august.
   ... move to note status ahead of TPAC.
   ... would need to convey to Shawn and EO to conclude their work
   in time for that Last Call publication.

   MS: I can talk to EO.

Reviewing minutes from Shenzhen

   JS: Michael had already made those minutes public. They are
   available here: [25]http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-media-minutes

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-media-minutes

Open Media Bugs for 5.0 and 5.1 (10 min)

   [26]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Current_Bug_Triage_Issu
   es

     [26] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Current_Bug_Triage_Issues

   [27]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12794

     [27] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12794

   JS: I think putting this back on John Foliot is a good thing.
   What is different about this now is that it could be solved by
   an ARIA feature, perhaps something to be included in ARIA 1.1,
   which should get a new draft in MAY

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [28]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([29]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-04-28 17:16:51 $

     [28] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [29] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Monday, 28 April 2014 18:36:31 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:38 UTC