W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > April 2014

Re: [MEDIA] Actions for Media Sub-Group; PF Comment Processing

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:47:54 -0400
To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Message-ID: <20140428144754.GD6198@concerto.rednote.net>
Minutes
Reply-To: 
In-Reply-To: <53583767.1040800@w3.org>
X-Operating-System: Linux concerto.rednote.net 3.13.10-200.fc20.x86_64 
X-PGP-Key: http://rednote.net/JaninaSajka_gpg_key.html

Mark Sadecki writes:
> * Janina to re-publish comment processing notes from Shenzhen with appropriate
> permissions.

Minutes from that portion of the PFWG Face to Face during TPAC 2013 in Shenzhen, China where comments received on our FPWD of "Media Accessibility User Requirements" were processed are provided below as text, and are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-media-minutes

   W3C

                                                              Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference

12 Nov 2013

   Agenda

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Lisa_Seeman, Janina_Sajka, Michael_Cooper, Debbie_Dahl, Mary_Jo_Mueller, Cynthia_Shelly, Jason_White, Mark_Sadecki, Andrew_Kirkpatrick, Katie_Haritos-Shea

   Regrets

   Chair
          Janina_Sajka

   Scribe
          Ryladog, MarkS, MichaelC, MaryJo, jasonjgw

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Media Accessibility User Requirements
     * Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media Accessibility User Requirements

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-media-accessibility-reqs-20120103/

   -> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/comments/list?document_version_id=16 Comments on Media Accessibility User Requirements

   <MaryJo> scribe: MaryJo

   js: History - 2 elements in the spec - video and audio and making them accessible.
   ... media task force was created to capture what we've learned in the broadcast world and translate that to the web environment.
   ... This information is well comprehended in this document and want to publish it as a note.

   <cyns> RRSAgent: make minutes

   js: How people with disabilities are accommodated through captions and audio descriptions in the web environment.
   ... You can have really long video descriptions in the web context. You can pause the video while the description continues - something not previously supported in
   broadcast content.
   ... In the web you can have two videos shown simultaneously - one normal and one in sign language can be accomplished as well.
   ... Can use time offsets like in film of a Shakespeare play and the acts have scenes and navigate through the video using these time offsets rather than purely by
   time.
   ... Separate audio tracks can be defined for the video content and the video description so one could be sent to headphones separately from the other which could be
   played on separate speakers.

   MC: Comment 360 - Need to ensure that descriptions are stored with local recordings for later use

   JS: We don't discuss in our document how the media is authored, so this may not be appropriate to add.

   <MichaelC> Audio Use Cases & Requirments

   mc: The above link is information from the audio working group.
   ... Will be rejecting the comment on the basis that the document don't cover authoring requirements. This information could be authored by a different group.

   comment 375 - Feedback on 3 Jan 2012 draft of Media Accessibility User Reqs

   mc: There are several editorial edits in this comment.

   JS: Leave handling these edits with Shane.

   comment 376 - 3.2 Text Video Description.

   js: If it is a text video description, it would be provided as VTT or TTML and are locally voiced through a braille display or TTS engine. This isn't a second audio
   track.

   comment 377 - 3.5 Content Navigation.

   MC: This is content navigation by content structure and the reference to DOM is not clear whether you navigate by structure or hierarchical methods.

   JS: Looks like this section could use some editing.

   Comment 376 - 3.6 Captioning requirement 13

   <LisaSeeman> http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/about-dyslexia/adults-and-business/dyslexia-and-specific-learning-difficulties-in-adu.html

   <LisaSeeman> quote from section on Sensory Sensitivity. A heightened sensitivity to noise and visual stimuli. Impaired ability to screen out background noise or
   movement. Sensations of mental overload / switching off.

   MC: This comment relates to the information about caption background appearing and disappearing is a distraction seems subjective.

   LS: This is based on user research that changing content can cause distractions.

   JW: The information could be written better, so would benefit from being rewritten.

   JS: Captions could even be hyperlinks.

   LS: The cognitive working group should look into this to see if there might be room for cognitive markup in the captions.

   js: We may be able to create markup for grade level, in support of ePub.
   ... We have evidence of research to back up our claim, but this content could use some editing.

   LS: We may want to add cognitive aspects to this document. e.g. Markup for different skill sets (other than simply language markup) for different cognitive profiles.

   comment 379 - 3.6 Captioning [CC-21] - seems to be missing some bullet points

   MC: There is a statement that is partially complete with missing content. It looks like some editing will fix the issue.

   Comment 380 - 3.8 Sign Translation.

   mc: Multiple videos playing in synch requires support in HTML5.

   JS: We want to drive spec support, and want the media subteam of HTML group to confirm this support will be provided.
   ... We will need a URI from the HTML group to document the support -re: media source extensions comments
   ... we're waiting for the answer from that group on the comment.

   Comment 381: 4.1 requirement KA-3

   MC: The controls must be scriptable and respond to AT control of the media.

   JS: resolution for this comment needs some investigation.

   Comment 389: Various (Jennifer Sutton, EOWG participant)

   <MarkS> TF Feedback on MSE

   MC: Shane will need to make necessary edits to resolve this comment.

   JS: Do we have an open issue on API control of media? Need to check on this.

   Comments 390 and 391 are editorial.

   Comment 392 - There are a few items in this comment. Some are editorial.

   MC: For low vision user - need clarification on contrast when it is too low or too high.
   ... The last part of the comment about how to handle hyper-visual thinkers - autism should be deferred to the cognitive group.

   CS: We should enlist Wayne Dick's help in how to handle the autism question.

   Comment 393 - [VP-2] Additional text customization needed

   JS: The suggested parameters in this comment can be added.

   comment 394 - Various (Andrew Arch, EOWG participant)

   MC: There are several issues listed in this comment.

   CS: For video description we can point to the FCC definition.

   JS: There isn't any direction in this comment as to what specifically what are the desired changes to the document.

   Comment 395 - 3.2 [TVD-1], [TVD-2] 3.3, 3.9

   MC: These look like editorial changes to expand verbiage, so look fine for updating the document.

   comment 396: Disabilities sections

   MC: Comment suggests to align with content about how PwD use the web, so we need to get more specifics on what changes are needed.

   JS: We need to give EO the opportunity to edit section 1.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Janina to Summarily our web CAPTCHA approaches and suggest review with Web App Security Group due 2013-12-18 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-pf-minutes#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: jason to find resources about classification of cognitive function [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-pf-minutes#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Lisa to post draft of template to the W3C wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-pf-minutes#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: LisaSeeman to post draft of template to the W3C wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-pf-minutes#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Mark to talk to systeam about possibly hooking into spec database [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-pf-minutes#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: MarkS to talk to systeam about possibly hooking into spec database [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-pf-minutes#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Ryladog to learn how to scribe [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-pf-minutes#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair,	Protocols & Formats	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
	Indie UI			http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/
Received on Monday, 28 April 2014 14:48:28 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:38 UTC