Re: text alternatives standalone draft

Hi Steve

A couple a thoughts...

1) I think screen reader users should be explicitly informed that
information below is the alternative... rather than deducing it from the
heading above the alternative.

alt="Flowchart: Dealing with a broken lamp.">

I would add "full description below"

alt="Flowchart: Dealing with a broken lamp. Full description below">
========

alt="Bar chart: Average rainfall in millimetres by Country and Season."

Same here

alt="Bar chart: Average rainfall in millimetres by Country and Season.
Table of data below"

2) I'm not sure of "more than a couple of sentences" being the guidance for
providing a long text alternative. I've always understood it to be if it
requires more than about 100 words, OR if there is a necessity to structure
it, then a long and structured description should be provided. A couple of
sentences means about 20 words. Do we really want people to start requiring
a long description if the alt is more than 20 words? Remember, the general
public will take this document as the final word... I would like other's
thoughts on this.

3) Also I think we need an example of the long description immediately
following the image, where it is hidden in an expandable tag such as the
Details/Summary (or a JavaScript fallback) .... every developer I know
resists long text following an image because they don't want to give up the
page real estate.

Cheers,

David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613.235.4902

LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmacdonald100>

www.Can-Adapt.com

*  Adapting the web to all users*

If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy
policy<http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>