W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > April 2014

Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Teleconference, 17 APR 2014

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:12:53 -0400
Message-ID: <534FFD85.8050100@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hello,

The minutes for the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference 17 April 2014
are available in HTML and plain text below:

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2014/04/17-html-a11y-minutes.html

TEXT:

    [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

              HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

17 Apr 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/04/17-html-a11y-irc

Attendees

   Present
          janina, Mark_Sadecki, LJWatson, Adrian_Roselli, PaulC,
          Cynthia_Shelly, Judy, Philippe

   Regrets
          chaals

   Chair
          Janina

   Scribe
          Mark Sadecki

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Identify Scribe
            http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
            ibe_List
         2. [5]Upcoming Heartbeat Publications
         3. [6]Alt Guidance & Next Steps
         4. [7]Longdesc CfC
         5. [8]Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps
         6. [9]Bug Triage
         7. [10]Table Summary Issues Redux
         8. [11]Our HTML 5.1 Objectives
         9. [12]Heartbeats Reprise
        10. [13]Other Business
     * [14]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 17 April 2014

   <janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

Identify Scribe
[15]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

     [15] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

   <scribe> scribe: Mark Sadecki

   <scribe> scribeNick: MarkS

Upcoming Heartbeat Publications

   JS: Paul? PF is still working on changing our procedure

   PC: going forward with DOM4. Chairs have draft from the editor.
   Directors call on May 5th.
   ... Canvas has an Editor's Draft that is ready to go back to
   LC. Now we need to prepare that document for publication.
   ... Will require a WG CfC
   ... nothing definitive yet, but HTML5 will have a heartbeat
   coming up once robin wraps up DOM4
   ... need to get polyglot into CR
   ... extension specs pending: JSON form submission has last
   minute breaking comments
   ... won't be batched into a big synchronized effort anymore.
   will resume a more natural schedule

   JS: PF needs to make progress on HTML mappings doc and steve's
   HTML ARIA mappings guide as well.
   ... need to improve the front matter on that document as well.
   there could possibly be a name change since this is to become
   one of a series of related documents

Alt Guidance & Next Steps

   JS: I think we are done here. There was a bug filed by WAI to
   reference a pointer. Accepted and already in the spec.

   PLH: What is happening to the original?

   JS: plan is for it to be parked as a note

   PC: Charles as an action to run a CfC
   ... recommend the old material is published as a WG Note
   ... could put in SoTD the list of bugs/comments
   ... SteveF did a great job of tracking this work
   ... as soon as you run the CfC in the TF, we will run it in the
   WG.

   MS: as Team Contact for that document, i would be handling the
   publication as a Note

Longdesc CfC

   ->
   [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Ap
   r/0036.html CR Exit CfC

     [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Apr/0036.html

   JS: CfC closes tomorrow
   ... I think 4 week CR period is appropriate

   PC: Can i ask Mark that he and PLH coordinate on all the
   Director's calls we have coming up?
   ... would like to do Longdesc and one of the others at the same
   time

   MS: I can do that

   PC: longdesc and polyglot, both going into CR should be doable
   and advantageous for RAlph

   JB: we can figure this out Team side

Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps

   MS: canvas sub-group had its final meeting on monday and worked
   through the remaining issues for hit regions and
   drawfocusifneeded. Agreed that the spec was ready to return to
   LC. The HTML chairs have been notified of this.

   PLH: on Monday, the group discussed MouseEvent handling
   ... as it was in the spec and in WHAT WG spec it would be
   difficult to handle MouseEvents, dispatching the events
   ... we discussed alternatives and agreed that not dispatching
   the event, directing it to the canvas with a event.region
   specified, would allow the developer to handle the event any
   way they wanted.
   ... wanted to document that this is different from WHAT WG
   approach
   ... this approach is much easier.
   ... should be a note in there drawing attention to this

   MS: I will follow up with editors that the note is included.

Bug Triage

   <LJWatson>
   [17]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24642

     [17] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24642

   LW: two bugs we would like input from the TF on

   <LJWatson>
   [18]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24679

     [18] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24679

   LW: disallowing role of presentation on a table that has a
   border of 1
   ... another on presentation table heuristics

   JS: presentation as a name will be changing...
   ... nobody on today's call that has any expertise in this

   LW: recommend anyone?

   JS: I will ask the ARIA sub team of PF to address this bug

   LW: second bug to improve presentation table heuristics.

   JS: I think we originally agreed on this at a TPAC 6 years ago.
   Gez Lemon and Joshue i think

   LW: This was recently filed, 2014. Steve has been involved as
   well
   ... I will ping Steve on this then.

   <LJWatson>
   [19]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Current_Bug_Triage_Issu
   es

     [19] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Current_Bug_Triage_Issues

   LW: as we were going through old 5.0 bugs. a handful were
   assigned to TF members to look into them more closely. there is
   a slight possibility these could end up back on HTML5
   ... we need to follow up on these

   CS: I have been sick unfortunately, but will coordinate with
   chaals so we can work through these.

   JS: I will also bring it to PF.

   JB: Media sub team has a bunch

   MS: I have added them to the media sub team agenda for next
   meeting

   LW: Mark and I have also noted a decrease in bug triage
   participation and are looking for more members again

   JB: anyone interested in what is involved? need to know more?
   ... the media sub team also has this issue

   JS: We do. The media sub team is also looking for new members.

   JB: we can brainstorm off line then.

   LW: Paul, what about putting an email to the HTML WG?

   PC: yes, send out a meeting notification to the WG list

   JS: to the admin list?

   PC: yes

Table Summary Issues Redux

   JS: This was brought up after CSUN

   MS: we closed the original bug that sparked this conversation
   RE table summary. we have an action to open new bug to improve
   accessible table examples in HTML5 spec against 5.1. editorial
   in nature, hope it can be ported back to 5.0. details and
   summary will be removed from html 5.0 and are used as examples
   so this will need to be cleaned up anyway. hope david macdonald
   can help with examples and anyone else.

   JS: There will be work on this in ARIA 1.1 as well

Our HTML 5.1 Objectives

   JS: while we are wrapping up HTML 5.0 our due diligence
   continues through to 5.1.
   ... the list of remaining items is getting shorter.
   ... 5.1 is scheduled to go to LC Q4 this year or even sooner.
   We need to get back to 5.1 objectives.
   ... need to focus and prioritize our work. Media sub group has
   taken up work again.
   ... we are working on the User Requirements for Accessible
   Media.
   ... working on resources UA can use to test against
   ... chaals is interested in a better approach for <command>
   ... we can use implementations to prioritize
   ... and those features which would really benefit accessibility

   <aardrian> [20]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/51wishlist

     [20] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/51wishlist

   PLH: RE moving the date of 5.1 sooner. That is not true. what
   was discussed at F2F was that the next update to rec in 2016
   would be changed. We would move to annual updates, reducing
   expectations for dot releases
   ... you would just need to prioritize what you want at the end
   of 2015 and then again at the end of 2016, etc

   JS: it was a goal of PF to align ARIA 1.1 with HTML 5.1 based
   on the timelines in 2014, so that the gold standard for
   accessibility would be HTML 5.1 and ARIA 1.1 etc.

   PLH: was it just the names of the specs? or the dates?

   JS: the dates

   PLH: ok so you would need to align with 5.2 in that case.

   PC: these timelines are very loose at this point.

   JS: there has been some frustration on the ARIA side of things.
   ARIA was a reaction to gaps in HTML 4. a lot of it was
   retrospective. ARIA 1.0 was very reparative in nature. 1.1 will
   be more proactive. and leverage testing that goes along with
   w3c spec.
   ... the goal will remain that some convergence of dates exist.
   ... not so much how HTML changes their pub dates, just that
   these two (or more) specs align well

   PLH: on the wish list, there are things like payment on it. and
   we weren't sure how that related to HTML 5.1. I understand this
   is a loose list.

   <plh> [21]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/51wishlist

     [21] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/51wishlist

   PLH: i think more work needs to happen on the wish list.
   ... we may need more use cases for some of these. like emotion
   mark up.

   JB: I think you could brainstorm with her.
   ... eml would be extremely valuable

   JS: I will bring that up in the cognitive call
   ... Would also like to stay informed regarding any changes to
   HTML publishing dates/goals

   PLH: there is still support for extension specs as well.

   JS: transcript was never taken up. we had two proposals on the
   table. ARIA is in a better position to help with that.

   MS: We can revisit this in Media sub group

   PC: were there actual specs developed or just email?

   JS: there were some formal proposals and some preliminary spec
   drafts I believe
   ... we were waiting to see what shakes out

   PC: might get better interop by pushing these along

   JS: since we are talking media, there is some work being done
   in IndieUI for media control.

   PC: going back to heartbeats

Heartbeats Reprise

   PC: HTML5 Heartbeat to be published the same week as canvas.
   Perhaps we could schedule both for Thursday May 1. We'll see
   how Robin responds. He is on vacation next week. So an HTML5
   heartbeat in 12-14 days

Other Business

   <paulc> Regrets from Paul for two weeks - on vacation Apr
   19-May 3

   JS: any volunteers for scribe next week?

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [22]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([23]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-04-17 16:11:00 $

     [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 17 April 2014 16:12:53 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:38 UTC