Re: FW: update to at risk features in Canvas

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:

> > Finally, just to be clear, just because we implemented it in Chrome
> doesn't
> > mean we're necessarily going to ship it. I'd really like to ship
> > drawSystemFocusRing but I'm not really inclined to recommend shipping
> > drawCustomFocusRing as-is, whether it makes the spec or not. I think it
> > should be changed or renamed.
>
> It seems odd to me to put time into implementing a feature without planning
> to ever actually ship it. I guess in this case it didn't become clear that
> you didn't want to ship it until after you had implemented it. But at this
> point I'd wonder why if you're not planning on shipping it, you plan to
> keep it in the code at all.

With Blink, we're specifially striving to make it easier to implement and
harder to ship.

http://www.chromium.org/blink#TOC-Web-Platform-Changes:-Process

In this particular case, I implemented drawSystemFocusRing and
drawCustomFocusRing together, they share most of the same code. So it was
hardly any extra effort to do both. It would be absolutely trivial if we
wanted to renamed drawCustomFocusRing to notifyFocusRingLocation or
something like that, which I would support.

If we think there's a chance that the Path object and hit testing will be
ready for implementation soon, I'd rather stick with that. However, if
that's a long ways off, I think notifyFocusRingLocation would be reasonable.

- Dominic