Re: 23284 - The accesskey attribute should be translatable

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 11:56:23 -0400
To: Adrian Roselli <Roselli@algonquinstudios.com>, "tink@tink.co.uk" <tink@tink.co.uk>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
CC: 'Joseph K O'Connor' <josephoconnor@mac.com>
On 9/25/13 10:59 AM, Adrian Roselli wrote:
> [...]
I also agree with the response.  It implies that all accesskeys are created based on logical language associations i.e. the assignment of the letter "S" to a Save link on an English site should be "G" for Guardar when translated to Spanish.  However, you can just as easily assign the number "1" to the Save link or the letter "A" in case "S" was already assigned to another control on the page.  This issue would better be described as requesting the abilty to "remap" accesskeys which seems better handled by the user agent or a plugin/extension.

Mark

--
Mark Sadecki
Web Accessibility Engineer