Re: WCAG considering amending F65 to NOT fail missing ALT text if title or aria-label is present

Hello James,

James: "A sufficient technique for aria-label etc. doesn't seem like a good idea. Remember that authors need not use any of the sufficient techniques in order to create conforming content but they may use one of their own techniques which is accessibility supported."

Sailesh:When F65 states aria-l* attribute does not fail, it means it is alright to use it to pass the SC.
In other words it is an attribute that is AT supported to pass SC 1.1.1 as per F65.
So it is a backdoor entry to list of sufficient techniques; in other words it will get interpreted as one.
I do not think other failures are documented that way.
I am saying, document it as a sufficient technique with guidance as to when and how it should be used.
(This is comparable to 'use title attribute when label cannot be used'.)
Then a failure technique can say absence of short text alternative by way of alt, aria-l*, title fails.
Oh, does your above statement suggest that aria-labelledby / aria-label for images is no longer being proposed as sufficient ARIA techniques?

Yes I agree that guidance for use / interpretation of two or more short alt attributes for accessible name should be part of sufficient techniques for those attributes.

James:  "Of course it is not its primary goal. However, the spec allows this usage. I'm not sure how you draw the interpretation that a spec which has roles for various document elements such as heading, img, list, listitem, math etc. is only concerned with interactive widgets. The global states and properties such as aria-label and aria-labelledby are clearly stated in the spec that they are " applicable to all host language elements regardless of whether a role is applied "

Sailesh: And the ARIA specs also say use host language  elements and attributes and use ARIA features when  native elements / attributes are not available. This means that ARIA is meant to be used with a variety of technologies, some that might not have img and listitem and heading elements.
In those situations, ARIA can be very useful and the "specs allow their usage" as you point out.
My last email did say how I get the impression that WAI-ARIA's focus is on interactive UI elements. That seems to be the thrust in the Intro doc.
And if WAI-ARIA is no longer a bridging technology  etc. then the specs should be revised. It is by reading the specs as documented, a reader begins to learn and understand what WAI-ARIA is and is not.
Kind regards,
Sailesh