Re: WCAG considering amending F65 to NOT fail missing ALT text if title or aria-label is present

On 11/27/2013 10:28 AM, Sailesh Panchang wrote:
> The Techniques doc
> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/
> should first document this as a sufficient ARIA technique for SC 1.1.1 before the failure can be documented.
Why? I don't propose documenting this as the best way of doing anything.
IMO alt is the best way to provide a text alternative for content in
HTML so documenting a sufficient technique for aria-label etc. doesn't
seem like a good idea. Remember that authors need not use any of the
sufficient techniques in order to create conforming content but they may
use one of their own techniques which is accessibility supported.

Failures are different in that any content which "meets" the failure
fails the success criteria. My argument is that content which clearly
meets the success criteria by providing a text alternative should not
automatically fail just because it does not use one particular
technique. I thought the whole directive behind WCAG2 was that it was
technology agnostic and was trying to document outcomes rather than
specific methods of getting to that outcome.

> As commented in the survey feedback,  it is important to provide guidance to developers when two or more attributes for text alt are present in the code. I suppose both alt and aria-labelledby / aria-label / title should be identical. Aria-describedby should be different from the alt.
Yes - it is important. A specific failure for alt text is not the place
to do so. If we think this can be documented into a failure then perhaps
a different failure would be appropriate.

> Yet,
> I have read and re-read the Intro to Aria
> http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/introduction
> and every time come away with the  conclusion that  ARIA is meant for rich content that cannot be marked ordinarily by HTML only. And these elements are interactive elements that have role, state, attributes besides name, description. The ARIA specs repeatedly identifies these as objects or custom widgets:
> "The incorporation of WAI-ARIA is a way for an author to provide proper semantics for custom widgets to make these widgets accessible, usable, and interoperable with assistive technologies. This specification identifies the types of widgets and structures that are commonly recognized by accessibility products,..."
> A critical ingredient is the "role", so when one repurposes a standard HTML element as something with a new role, ARIA kicks in.
> "Roles are a common property of platform accessibility APIs
>   which assistive technologies use to provide the user with effective presentation and interaction. This role taxonomy includes interaction widgets and elements denoting document structure."
> "States and properties are used to declare important attributes of an element that affect and describe interaction."
> So "interactivity" seems to course through every vein of ARIA.
> And there's lot of rich interactive content  that can be made accessible with ARIA  when browsers and AT implement the specs uniformly.
> That's where efforts should be focussed.
> So from the reading of the ARIA specs I do not think fixing the alternative text for a plain non interactive image is its primary goal.
Of course it is not its primary goal. However, the spec allows this
usage. I'm not sure how you draw the interpretation that a spec which
has roles for various document elements such as heading, img, list,
listitem, math etc. is only concerned with interactive widgets. The
global states and properties such as aria-label and aria-labelledby are
clearly stated in the spec that they are "applicable to all host
languageelements
<http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/terms#def_element>regardless of whether
arole <http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/terms#def_role>is applied "

> A bigger concern is the accessible name / text alternative computation  logic (identified as a feature at risk):the logic makes the ARIA attributes take precedence over native elements / attributes. The logic is fine for elements that have been repurposed with a new ARIA role; else the native markup should take precedence.
That is not how it is defined. If you had an objection based on this the
time to have made it would have been during the last call of the ARIA
specification. This has now passed and the spec is at the point of
testing the implementations in order to make sure the spec is implementable.