Re: Call for Consensus: Publish HTML Image Descriptions as Last Call

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:54:52 +0400, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
(janina@rednote.net) <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> Hi, Paul:
>
> As I read it, the W3C Patent Policy requires at least 60-days of Last
> Call:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2003/12/22-pp-faq.html#refdraftislc

In principle it is possible to publish a Recommendation in that time, if
everyone is very very fast. t won't happen in our case because of the lags
built in by needing consensus from multiple groups. And in general it is
unusual - it would require an extremely high degree of certainty about the
IPR status.

On the other hand I don't think we need to wait 60 days for last call
comments. The specification is very short, and has had a massive amount of
discussion already over the last 7 years - I will be surprised if there
are any surprises at all waiting to be revealed.

I intend to ask the TF in this week's meeting for a Recommendation, but I
would suggest 6 weeks - far longer than necessary, but since we anticipate
publishing over July/August, and throughout those two months there are
many people in Europe on extended breaks, a reasonable balance.

Cheers

Chaals