Call for Consensus: Publish HTML Image Descriptions as Last Call

From: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:16:48 +0400
To: "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>

this is a call for consensus on the proposal:

THe HTML Accessibility Task Force requests that the HTML and PF Working
Groups jointly publish a Last Call Working Draft of the HTML Image
Description extension, based on the 24 June editor's draft at

Silence will be taken as assent, but a positive response is preferred.
Please respond to public-html-a11y@w3.org before the call closes at
midnight on Monday 1 July (Hawaii Time zone).

Changes since the Second Public Working Draft of June 6 are editorial in
nature. The most significant ones are identified at

There is one issue identified in the draft, which is a request for a
better reference for checking accessibility of content. We have already
agreed that if we don't find a more appropriate reference we will simply
close the bug and leave it as is.

In addition, in a late comment on the last draft[1] Peter Gruzca
foreshadowed a potential issue of changing the requirement for making
longdesc discoverable from "should" to "must". In my reply[2], I have
requested that if he wishes to formally propose the issue he does so as a
comment on the Last Call (assuming we reach consensus and the Last Call is