Re: HTML5 Image Description Extension (longdesc) - comments

Hello Marta,

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:46:46 +0200, Marta Pawlowska
<m.pawlowska@samsung.com> wrote:

> I'm quite new in this area however I would like to add my 2 censt to
> HTML5 Image longdesc.

Thank you for your comments. I have tried to answer them inline.

I am preparing an editor's draft for tomorrow which will include changes
based on your suggestions - I'll announce it to the list when it is
available.

> My comments added by section name:
>
> 1.       Abstract
>
> Can we add here information about general use case in one sentence? I
> would prefer to have it here also as it is hard to understand the
> purpose of this document in comparison to HTML4 on the first glance.

OK. I added a note to the upcoming editor's draft that says longdesc is
based on the HTML 4 attribute.

(The history is that it was in HTML4, it was taken out of HTML5, and this
extension more or less reinstates it.)

> 2.       Introduction
>
> It would be nice to add information why we need it and why HTML4
> longdesc is not enough.

Well, HTML4 longdesc is not in HTML5. Unless you use this extensions
specification.

> Also it would be nice to explain why using URL  instead of
> description is better.

OK.

> Can we also change example a bit so it would look more clear? (I mean
> formatting)

Do you have a concrete suggestion for how to improve it? I am happy to
make things better, but sometimes I am shortof ideas or design skill...

> 3.       Use Cases and Requirements
>
> Can we rephrase this part? i.e. like this:
>
> "There are many ways users can successfully interact with visual content
> even if they cannot see, or see well. (..)"

I actually put "There are many ways users can successfully interact with
images even if they cannot see, or see well."

(You're right, the original was pretty twisted...)

> 4.       Use cases
>
> Generally I believe we should use "shorter" sentences in Use Cases as in
> some sections like "Linking to a description included within a page" it
> is hard to read and understand the purpose ( a sentence that takes 3
> lines).

I'll have another look tonight. A 3-line sentence is too long.

[Various rephrasing suggestions]

In general I have rephrased things along the lines you suggested.

> 6.2.1           Attribute
>
> 6.2.1.1    longdesc of type DOMString
>
> Can we rephrase this? part i.e. like this:
>
> "It represents a hyperlink to a detailed description of the parent image
> represented by HTMLImageElement."

I didn't do this. As a general rule, I don't use verbs in the passive
voice.

> Examples - can we reformat it to look more clear?

Again - sure, but I would appreciate some ideas on what would make it look
clearer.

> I hope that you will find it helpful.

Indeed. Thank you Marta for your comments.

cheers

Chaals