W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > July 2013

Re: Call for Consensus: Publish HTML Image Descriptions as Last Call

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 13:41:06 -0400
Message-ID: <51DAF9B2.8060305@w3.org>
To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
On 7/6/13 10:49 AM, Paul Cotton wrote:
>> Sorry, it was done on the 2nd. It is an Editor's draft, but it should be obvious which text will be changed to make it an actual Last Call (I find it a bad practice to publish something as if it were a Last Call when it isn't, given that it is persistent).
> Actually in the past we have actually produced non-Editor's drafts for review by the HTML WG.  This ensures that the drafts are stable during the review period.
Hi Paul,

Here is a direct link to the specific revision we wish the WG to 
consider for publication:
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-proposals/raw-file/f1a29b787908/longdesc1/longdesc.html

There are no plans to make any changes to this document outside of the 
boilerplate, status and stylesheet changes required for the publication 
of a LCWD.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  We are hoping you can 
initiate the CfC in the WG as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,

Mark
>
> For example the CR drafts for review were published at http://htmlwg.org/cr/ in Nov 2012.
There are copyright and document persistence issues involved with 
publishing
>
> /paulc
>
> Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
> 17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
> Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Charles McCathie Nevile [mailto:chaals@yandex-team.ru]
> Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:43 AM
> To: Paul Cotton
> Cc: public-html-a11y@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Call for Consensus: Publish HTML Image Descriptions as Last Call
>
> On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 23:34:49 +0400, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>> I will publish a new Editor's draft to go with the request, with a
>>> Status of the Document that clarifies the last call period, etc.
>> Let me know when you have these items done so that the HTML WG Chairs
>> can start a one week CfC in the HTML WG.
> Sorry, it was done on the 2nd. It is an Editor's draft, but it should be obvious which text will be changed to make it an actual Last Call (I find it a bad practice to publish something as if it were a Last Call when it isn't, given that it is persistent).
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals
>
>> /paulc
>>
>> Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
>> 17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
>> Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Charles McCathie Nevile [mailto:chaals@yandex-team.ru]
>> Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:46 PM
>> To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
>> Subject: Re: Call for Consensus: Publish HTML Image Descriptions as
>> Last Call
>>
>> With no dissent, this call passes. We will therefore request the HTML
>> and PF Working Groups to publish a Last Call of HTML Image Description
>> Extension with a 60-day last call period. I will publish a new
>> Editor's draft to go with the request, with a Status of the Document
>> that clarifies the last call period, etc.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Chaals
>>
>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:16:48 +0400, Charles McCathie Nevile
>> <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> this is a call for consensus on the proposal:
>>>
>>> THe HTML Accessibility Task Force requests that the HTML and PF
>>> Working Groups jointly publish a Last Call Working Draft of the HTML
>>> Image Description extension, based on the 24 June editor's draft at
>>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-proposals/raw-file/e2129bb908aa/longdesc1
>>> /
>>> longdesc.html
>>>
>>> Silence will be taken as assent, but a positive response is preferred.
>>> Please respond to public-html-a11y@w3.org before the call closes at
>>> midnight on Monday 1 July (Hawaii Time zone).
>>>
>>> Changes since the Second Public Working Draft of June 6 are editorial
>>> in nature. The most significant ones are identified at
>>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-proposals/raw-file/e2129bb908aa/longdesc1
>>> /
>>> longdesc.html#changes
>>>
>>> There is one issue identified in the draft, which is a request for a
>>> better reference for checking accessibility of content. We have
>>> already agreed that if we don't find a more appropriate reference we
>>> will simply close the bug and leave it as is.
>>>
>>> In addition, in a late comment on the last draft[1] Peter Gruzca
>>> foreshadowed a potential issue of changing the requirement for making
>>> longdesc discoverable from "should" to "must". In my reply[2], I have
>>> requested that if he wishes to formally propose the issue he does so
>>> as a comment on the Last Call (assuming we reach consensus and the
>>> Last Call is published).
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jun/0064.ht
>>> m
>>> l>
>>> [2]
>>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jun/0071.ht
>>> m
>>> l>
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Chaals
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Charles McCathie Nevile - Consultant (web standards) CTO Office, Yandex
>>         chaals@yandex-team.ru         Find more at http://yandex.com
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Charles McCathie Nevile - Consultant (web standards) CTO Office, Yandex
>           chaals@yandex-team.ru         Find more at http://yandex.com
>
>


-- 

Mark Sadecki
Web Accessibility Engineer
World Wide Web Consortium, Web Accessibility Initiative
Telephone: +1.617.715.4017
Email: mark@w3.org
Web: http://w3.org/People/mark
Received on Monday, 8 July 2013 17:41:08 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:34 UTC