RE: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

David Singer wrote:

> Yes, I think so.  It even strikes me that Someone With Skills could
> even make an iframe that looks like it lives on the back of the image,
> with the description contents, using JS, CSS, HTML, etc. :-), as an
> experiment.

Been there, done that. I first proposed this to Dirk 2 years ago, and he
graciously built the PoC for me:

http://blog.ginader.de/dev/jquery/longdesc/examples/webaim/index.php

Not *exactly* as you describe, as it uses an AJAX call to fetch the longer
textual description, and renders it in the iFrame (scaled to the same size
as the image). There are a few minor tweaks that still could be applied, but
the gist of the idea is already there.

It strikes *me* that a Browser Company With Skills could take the same idea
(and lift the OS code liberally from GitHub) and implement this fairly
easily.

The final step would be to have the notification icon (bottom right in
Dirk's example), display or not display via the User Preferences settings
(where they can tweak other things, like DNT, Cookie Management, Master
Password settings (sic), and other browser adjustments).

I suspect a good browser engineer could do this in a day, and still have
time for a beer and foosball before heading home.

JF