Re: Fwd: longdesc document for the record

On 09/21/2012 09:56 AM, Laura Carlson wrote:
> I am STILL receiving email from both HTML WG and the Accessibility
> Task Force lists, even though I have requested to be removed from
> these groups publicly and privately.

My understanding is that Judy and/or Janina will be contacting you
shortly.  It is my sincere hope that they talk you out of this.

> But since I am temporarily able to post, I submit for the record the
> document: Objection to the Proposal: Zero Edit/Obsolete longdesc
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Sep/0025.html
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Sep/att-0025/comments-mt.html

Noted.  But as stated previously, the chairs intention to proceed to
survey was put on hold by W3C management, and the plan that subsequently
produced and has the support of PLH and Judy as well as the four chairs
involved grants the A11y TF the authority to publish a document that
defines a long description attribute by whatever name it collectively
wishes.

As I said in yesterday's A11y TF call, when such a document reaches FPWD
status, the W3C validator will be updated.

At this point focus should turn to CR exit criteria.  If this is
something that is primarily addressed by Assistive Technology or targets
certain markets, stating such explicitly in early drafts might  make it
easier build wider consensus.  If it turns out that changes need to be
made to gain even wider consensus and such it is felt that such changes
leads to a path of wider adoption, then I would suggest that those
changes should be considered.

- Sam Ruby