RE: My case for the obsoletion of longdesc (Was: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

John Foliot, Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:29:41 -0700:
> James Craig wrote:
>> On Sep 16, 2012, at 2:28 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
>>
>>> If longdesc is put back in the spec i would consider it
>>> appropriate to have a warning about its use. I would consider it  a
>>> feature at risk CR wise unless its interoperable support in browsers
>>> is improved.
>>
>> I think we're in agreement then.
>
> As I have previously noted, the existing support for @longdesc TODAY meets
> the CR exit criteria as written:
    [ ... ]
> - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Aug/0294.html

[Opera, iCab, Firefox+JAWs, IE+JAWs/WindowEyes/SuperNova/HAL]

> That's 6, the requirement is for 2. (Even without the addition of JAWs, we
> have 2 native implementations based on different code stacks, with iCab
> being based upon WebKit, and Opera based upon Presto).

We should probably not mix CR criteria and validation. To take an
example: Imagine that only two browsers supported the <details>
element, for instance, then a validator warning might be due.
--
leif halvard silli