Re: A longer description feature that vendors could accept (Was: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:08:42 +0200
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, public-html-a11y@w3.org
Laura Carlson, Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:52:28 -0500:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Laura Carlson, Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:21:50 -0500:

>>> I would Formally Object to moving longdesc functionality over to ARIA.
>>> As previously referenced:
>>> http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/constriants/ariadescribedat.html
>>
>> The technical issue you mention there is possible to understand.
>>
>> To circumvent your FO promise, ARIA could introduce @describedAT[1]
>
> That would not circumvent it.

(Not) moving the responsibility for it to ARIA, alone? No (more or
less) of course not. I could have added conditions, such as saying that
@describedAT would have to not create a visual encumbrance. And that
HTML5 should contain the same attribute, as native attribute (thus that
the ARIA attribute with the same name would be forbidden in HTML).
However, I would first of all like to hear what the vendors could be
willing to implement.

Meanwhile - we don't have any statement from the HTMLwg member vendors
about what they would be willing to implement. But nevertheless, I have
a first positive answer from one external vendor - the maker of iCab:

Alexander Clauss, Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:22:00 +0200:
>> If HTML5 - or ARIA (which HTML5 includes) - were to include a "global"
>> attribute (one that would be permitted on [almost] any element) with a
>> equivalent semantics as @longdesc [*], do you think that iCab
>> could/would support that attribute, the same way that it supports
>> @longdesc now?
>
> Yes, of course. In fact, there's already the "cite" attribute which is
> already supported for all elements in iCab and whose semantics is similar.

(I did not know this about @cite, but iCab does in fact support it on
any element.)
--
leif halvard silli