Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:00:06 +0100
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, public-html-a11y@w3.org
Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Joshue O Connor<joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>  wrote:
>> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> Having had a look at this data makes me wonder ... since none of the
>>> sites that you've crawled had used longdesc correctly, either your set
>>> of sites is dubious or we are really staring at a totally mis-informed
>>> Web developer community.
>>
>> Lol! I think its the later :-)
>
> I was actually hoping it is the earlier because then we could repeat
> the experiment with some sites that actually provide a proper
> @longdesc. If even us a11y people can only find such sites by
> hand-picking them, there is indeed something seriously wrong.

I see. In reality is probably a combination, but I would be cautious of
calling the sample population 'wrong' as they probably do represent
valid if poorly implemented use cases.

I actually think no matter what the 'shiny thing' is that will
eventually replace @longdesc - we shall be having this same conversion
in ~ 10 years.