Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

On 09/18/2012 05:16 PM, John Foliot wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>>
>> At one time Richard participated in a discussion concerning deprecating
>> longdesc when aria-describedby was introduced.[1]  I'll note that that
>> was over 4 years ago.
>
> I would like to respectfully point out that there is no concept of
> deprecation in HTML5 - a position that was established by the former Editor
> of the current Draft Specification, and remains in effect today.

This statement, while technically correct, is incomplete.

The reason that longdesc specifically was not marked as conforming but
with a validator warning is that we got a number of objections on such a
proposal:

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-30-objection-poll/results#xwarning

- Sam Ruby