RE: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:49:20 -0700
To: "'David Singer'" <singer@apple.com>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
David Singer wrote:
> So your thesis is that we should stick with a poor solution, that works
> only in controlled environments (not the public internet), and with a
> limited number of UAs, not all, and for whcih the situation is not
> improving nor likely to, rather than do better?
> "I'm sorry, I cannot give you a car because you already have a broken
> bicycle."  Pshaw, I say, I and many others have much higher
> aspirations.

Then please, bring forward a better way. One that addresses all of the user
requirements that have been outlined in infinite detail
One that is easy for content creators to implement and that provides real
solutions that *all* users can use.

This needs to be a technical solution, not a convoluted series of possible
authoring solutions. What we have today with the obsolesce of longdesc is
more like "I'm sorry, I cannot give you a car, plus we're going to take away
your broken bicycle, and you can walk or stay put - we don't have the
solution to your problem today".

Besides, it's not so much that the bike is broken, but that there are very
few good bike-paths to use.

> > With due respect, that wholly depends on how you measure support and
> > reliability.
> >
> A success is a success no matter how you measure it; indeed, given a
> careful measurement of limited spaces on both the UA and content side,
> yes, there are good patches.  I do not think that is not good enough.

So, if "A success is a success no matter how you measure it", then by your
own criteria @longdesc has had some successes, and with some effort we can
build upon those successes.  The current proposed alternative is to ignore
those successes, start fresh with a possible something that has zero support
today, and hope and pray that it won't be overly disruptive?  I do not think
that is good enough.