Re: additional sentence for 204

Thanks, Cynthia.

I think this brings us fcloser, but not quite far enough. Let me edit
your text directly and ask you and James whether this still makes sense.

Cynthia Shelly writes:
> At the html-a11y tf meeting this morning, I was asked to propose some text to make it clear that authors have control over whether @hidden elements will be exposed to users via accessibility APIs.  It's pretty clear in the existing text, in the 2nd paragraph, that this exposure only applies to elements that are referenced by another element.

> User Agents may thus expose the full semantics of hidden elements to Assistive Technology when appropriate, if such content is referenced indirectly by a unique identifier (ID) reference or valid hash-name reference.
>
> I propose that we add a note after the 2nd paragraph to clarify the author's control over this.  This text needs some word-smithing, but I think it conveys the idea.
>
> <proposal>
> Note:
> Authors have control over whether elements with the @hidden attribute will be exposed in this manner.  Only elements that are is referenced indirectly by a unique identifier (ID) reference or valid hash-name reference will be exposed.  If an author does not wish to have a @hidden element exposed, he may achieve this by not referencing the element.
> </proposal>
>
> Or something like that...

My tweak ...

Note:

Author  control, as opposed to user control  over whether elements with
the @hidden attribute may be exposed to users will be delineated in this
manner.  Only elements that are referenced indirectly by a unique
identifier (ID) reference or valid hash-name reference may be exposed at
user request.  An author desiring to keep a @hidden element hidden from
any and all user initiated viewing scenarios may achieve this by simply
not referencing the element.

</proposal>

Janina

--