Re: [text] HTML-A11Y Text, Tues 4 September 2012, 17:00 Z, (1PM Eastern), 60 min

Laura,

At 06:49 AM 9/4/2012 -0500, Laura Carlson wrote:
>Hi Judy and Janina,
>
>Standing regrets for the text team meeting, due to a recurring work
>conflict. But if things go well I may be able to call in for a few
>minutes.

Please try to join for at least part of the text subteam call so that
we can coordinate more directly.

>It is unfortunate that you haven't made a call for consensus on the
>proposed new text for the longdesc change proposal yet.

I looked back at the A11Y Task Force minutes last week and think I
see where the confusion may be coming from. There was discussion of
your request for a call for consensus on the updated text
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Talk:ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc
but it was not fully captured in the minutes. Discussion included that:
- there were no objections from meeting participants to the updated
orientation text;
- since there were no actual changes to the position or
implementation details of the change proposal, only the addition of
text providing orientation to the extensive evidence linked from the
change proposal, it would be unnecessary to do another full call for
consensus on the updated text;
- however, it would be appropriate to request comments or suggestions
to the orientation text that had been added. We will be doing that.

Regarding timing of when that request goes out, I had emailed you
mentioning why that hadn't happened yet. The pending resolution of
the formal objection on 204 may affect the clarification language
that's currently set as a placeholder in the updated 30 change
proposal text, regarding whether there is or is not some viable
alternative to a longer description mechanism. This is relevant to
how people consider the question of longdesc. We don't want to do
multiple calls for comments. There are a few different possibilities
with how timing on this may happen, which are easier to sort out by phone.

>If you would like me to consider switching out the current front page
>text [1] on the longdesc change proposal with the new text that
>sub-team wordsmithed [2]  please do a call for consensus on today's
>text call and then  with the full task force on Thursday. If you do
>not obtain  consensus, I'll just use the current text which does have
>consensus.
>
>Sam and Paul, if the task force does not reach a successful CFC on the
>proposed new text  [2], please use the current text [1] for the survey
>as it does have consensus.

Laura, please understand that the HTML Co-Chairs can't survey it
right now, as they have been requested by the Director to wait for
the resolution on the 204 formal objection, and they are respecting
that request. The Director is aware of the situation with Issue 30 as well.

- Judy