From: John Foliot [mailto:john@foliot.ca]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 10:29 PM
To: 'Sam Ruby'; public-html@w3.org
Cc: 'HTML Accessibility Task Force'
Subject: FORMAL OBJECTION (was RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-204 aria-hidden)

Sam Ruby wrote:

>    * Assertion of "harmful behaviors" is also not sufficiently
> supported
>      by evidence.  In particular, it makes a claim that has previously
>      been disputed, and without a single example of such markup.

It is impossible to demonstrate harmful behaviors in a technology that has yet to surface - this is a ludicrous statement.

Placing a <a href>Link</a> inside an @hidden container MUST still take tab focus for a non-sighted user and their Assistive Technology to interact with it, yet at the same time hides that focus from the sighted user: this is simple logic. Proving the harm of this is currently impossible due to lack of implementation anywhere: conversely however no one has been able to prove that this is NOT harmful.

Allowing tab-focusable content to reside inside of a container that is specifically hidden to any other user, including a sighted, key-board only user, is harmful because that sighted user will lose track of their tab focus, with no other means of knowing where their cursor is.

This is a direct contravention of a WCAG 2 AA Requirement:

	"2.4.7 Focus Visible: Any keyboard operable user interface has a mode of operation where the keyboard focus indicator is visible."
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#navigation-mechanisms-focus-v
isible

Therefore, implementation of this Change Proposal is a Direct and Willful Violation of the existing WCAG Specification, and the basis of My Formal Objection. I do not believe that the HTML5 WG should be violating such an important W3C Recommendation (one which countless countries and industries have based their entire on-line accessibility requirements - whether policies or legislation - upon).

John Foliot