RE: Review of Section 7.1 by ARIA working group in PF

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 13:29:05 -0700
To: "'Richard Schwerdtfeger'" <schwer@us.ibm.com>, "'Edward O'Connor'" <eoconnor@apple.com>
Cc: <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> Yes. I would suggest changing the following text:
>
> "Elements in a section hidden by the hidden attribute are
> still active, e.g. scripts and form controls in such sections
> still execute and submit respectively. Only their presentation
> to the user changes."
>
> To:
> Elements in a section hidden by the hidden attribute are still
> active, e.g. scripts and form controls in such sections still
> execute and submit respectively. Only their presentation to the
> user changes. Although active, content hidden by the hidden
> attribute is not focusable and does not participate in sequential
> focus navigation.

Hi Rich, Edward,

Question: how do form controls remain fill-able and submit buttons submit-able without taking physical cursor focus? (particularly concerned about submit)

Also, on last Thursday's TF call there was a concern over event-handlers that require focus (onfocus, onclick, onkeypress, onhover, ondblclick, onkeydown, onkeyup, onselect, the Drag and Drop event handlers, onscroll...). It seems that some event handlers could still apply (onchange or onloadeddata for example), but I believe sufficient warning should also be provided around the focusable event-handlers that they will not "work".

JF