RE: longdesc using #id

I also concur with Chaals that this is a use case that would be good for
Longdesc, and that HTML4 allows for it, but that the spec provided no
example, and did not mention it ...
 I support its inclusion in our extension... I just think we're being a bit
strident to say its non-implementation for over 15 years is a "bug".

	>> ... there have been implementation reports that some screen
reader / browser combinations don't handle this well.

Is there one implementation (Browser/AT combination) that *does* handle it
well? Or was there *ever* a combination that did?

I think we should say it like it is... that HTML4 does allow for a #id to
point to the same page, but no one ever did... and at the time, if I
remember correctly, the team was looking for an alternative to "D" link, and
the thinking was a description separate page, because they thought sighted
people didn't need the description... (there was not much understanding at
the time of the needs of the cognitive community)

There is room to interpret HTML4 this way, but there has never been an
implementation of it in 15 years, and therefore it is effectively a new
proposed behaviour, which I wholeheartedly support.

Cheers
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
  Adapting the web to all users