Re: main spec updated - changes to parsing and rendering

On 11/18/2012 05:20 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I think we should be bold and actually ask to make <main> a required
> element on Web pages - whether author provided or not. This means that
> in the cases where the author does not provide a <main> element, the
> browsers have to create one. They can use a good heuristic to position
> it - such as "before the first <article> element on the page" or "before
> the first <h1> element on the page" or "after any <menu>, <header> or
> <aside> element" or all of the above and a bit more. Something we can
> codify for HTML.

If I understand your proposal correctly, what you are proposing would
likely would break my weblog.  Search the following stylesheet for "body
 >" to see what I mean:

http://intertwingly.net/css/blogy.css

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  I can totally see myself voluntarily adding a <main> element to my
weblog and coordinating (with myself!) the necessary changes to the CSS.
  But that's an entirely different matter than having the browser do
half of this without my knowledge.