Re: main spec updated - changes to parsing and rendering

Hi Steve,

I have a question about the proposed <main> element. I'm taking this
discussion into the a11y TF, since I think this is the right place to have
this discussion first.

To me, the <main> element is primarily a replacement for the @role=main use
case with some secondary positive implications for semantic document
analysis and for page styling.

As the use case for @role=main is such that we want to give accessibility
users a means to directly access the main content of a Web
page/application, this should be something that every Web page/application
provides for.

Thus, in my understanding, browsers will need to parse every Web page into
the following document structure:
 <head>
 </head>
   <main>
   </main>

rather than what currently happens:
 <head>
 </head>

It doesn't seem like this is included in your extension spec. Is this
something you have considered? And what are your thoughts on this, and the
implications?

Regards,
Silvia.