Re: Image description extension review

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 22:38:57 +0100, David MacDonald
<david100@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi Chaals
>

> On the call you had mentioned that longdesc pointing to an anchor on the
> same page is included in the HTML4 spec. I’m sorry but I’m >unable to
> find any reference or example in HTML 4 of Longdesc referring to
> information (an anchor id) on the same page.

It's a URI - a link. That can be relative or absolute, including pointing
to something else in the same page. It's common practice to have links to
somewhere else in a page. There is very little in the HTML 4 spec about
the precise mechanics of the link. But my testing showed that browsers
which implemented longdesc assumed it should work for all URIs including
links within the page.

> Nor can I find any recommended advice to use null alt text (alt=“”) on
> an image that has a longdesc...

I think there is a lot of advice to use null alt text for decorative
images. But there is reason such images should not have a longdesc.

> Nor are there any example techniques in WCAG showing this use of
> longdesc or of null alt text.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20120103/H45

If I get time I can offer some.

> In 10 years on the WCAG team and weekly calls, I’ve never heard this use
> case of Longdesc discussed, nor in 14 years in the field >have I ever
> seen it done.

OK. I've done it, but I can't think of any examples I have available in
public.

> I’m fine with the longdesc extension... but I think we either need to
> demonstrate that this use case exists in the real world and is in >HTML4,

The use case of longdesc within a page? There have been arguments raised
many times that longdesc is deficient because it doesn't allow for this
use case (which is simply untrue). If the people who are opposed to
longdesc think this use case is important, that's good enough for me.

As for the use case of long description fora  purely decorative image, I
think that's easy to establish. And it is already accepted that such
images should have null alt. The interesting point that perhaps we should
make in the spec is to consider this case when ensuring discoverability.

cheers

Chaals