From: Richard Schwerdtfeger [mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 15 November 2012 17:03
To: Léonie Watson; faulkner.steve@gmail.com
Cc: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Subject: Outstanding canvas bugs assessment

Léonie, Steve,

Here is my assessment of the Canvas bug list:
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?keywords=a11y_canvas%2C%20a11ytf
<https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?keywords=a11y_canvas%2C%20a11ytf
&keywords_type=allwords&resolution=NEEDSINFO&resolution=INVALID&resolution=W
ONTFIX&bug_status=RESOLVED&product=HTML%20WG&list_id=2000>
&keywords_type=allwords&resolution=NEEDSINFO&resolution=INVALID&resolution=W
ONTFIX&bug_status=RESOLVED&product=HTML%20WG&list_id=2000

8722 - close. Canvas now has a
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/2dcontext/#dom-context-2d-drawsystemfocusring>
drawSystemFocusRing() and drawCustomFocusRing() . Also the new hit testing
functionality for Paths will allow an AT to zoom into objects providing the
author does the binding between the path and fallback content objects.
Note: the user agent implementation guide must provide mappings in response
to both these changes.

9061 - close. We are not using this for canvas.

10248 - move to HTML.next. This is Rich Text Editing

10249 - move to HTML.next. This is Rich Text Editing

11240 - move to HTML.next. This is Rich Text Editing

12306 - close: This text exists in the canvas element specification: "When
authors use the
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-canvas-element.html#the-canvas-element>
canvas element, they must also provide content that, when presented to the
user, conveys essentially the same function or purpose as the bitmap canvas.
This content may be placed as content of the
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-canvas-element.html#the-canvas-element>
canvas element. The contents of the
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-canvas-element.html#the-canvas-element>
canvas element, if any, are the element's fallback content
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/content-models.html#fallback-content> ."

12906 - close: Although the name of the bug refers to not replacing some
input controls with canvas the text of the bug refers to text fields. This
is addressed in the Canvas 2D API specification in
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/2dcontext/#best-practices> section 19 in that it
encourages using canvas for Rich Text Editing. Addressing the accessibility
of Rich Text Editing has been moved to HTML.next13181 - close: We have a hit
testing proposal that includes paths that have been applied to canvas under
the section  <http://dev.w3.org/html5/2dcontext/#hit-regions> Hit Regions.
This allows an author to route mouse events to fallback content where the
fallback element is bound to a closed path on canvas. Specifically, the
addHitRegion has a control argument which refers to a fallback content
element to which the events would be routed.

14119 - close: This text exists in the canvas element specification: "When
authors use the
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-canvas-element.html#the-canvas-element>
canvas element, they must also provide content that, when presented to the
user, conveys essentially the same function or purpose as the bitmap canvas.
This content may be placed as content of the
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-canvas-element.html#the-canvas-element>
canvas element. The contents of the
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-canvas-element.html#the-canvas-element>
canvas element, if any, are the element's fallback content
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/content-models.html#fallback-content> ."

11342 - This does not appear to have been addressed by the chairs. We have
focus rings functions but it would be valuable to have this addition to text
metrics in order to compute the path for drawing the focus rings. At one
point they had asked for additional information and it was provided.

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger