Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: Issue-194 Change Proposal

On May 29, 2012, at 12:01 PM, Janina Sajka wrote:

> The Task Force Media Subteam has concluded work on a change proposal for
> Issue-194: Video Transcript:
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ISSUE-194/TranscriptElement
>
> On 31 May next the HTML-A11Y Task Force teleconference meeting will
> consider consensus support of this Issue-194 Change Proposal
>
> As usual, if there is objection in the Task Force to such a consensus
> position, please respond by replying to this message no later than close
> of business, Boston Time, on Thursday 31 May.

 I object to this change proposal because I think it is overly complex. I believe that Ted O'Connor's "video-transcript IDref" proposal [1] is simpler and less verbose, and most importantly does not try to spec "interactive transcripts".

While interactive transcripts look like a potentially useful feature, I think it would be a mistake to put them in the spec now because we don't have enough experience to standardize on one implementation. It is possible to create interactive transcripts with existing HTML5 APIs, so we should allow authors to experiment instead of prematurely constraining innovation. Once we have more implementation experience we can revisit this issue and talk about standardizing it as a feature of the Web platform

eric

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Eoconnor/ISSUE-194-2B