W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > May 2012

Text Subteam Minutes for Tuesday 22 May

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 19:41:51 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20120522234151.GR3798@sonata.rednote.net>
Minutes from the HTML-A11Y Task Force Text Subteam teleconference of Tuesday 22
May are provided in text below and are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2012/05/22-text-minutes.html


   W3C

                                                           - DRAFT -

                              HTML-A11Y Text Alternatives Subteam of HTML Accessibility Task Force

22 May 2012

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Judy, Janina, JF, Laura_Carlson

   Regrets
   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          Judy, JF

Contents

     * Topics
         1. update on coordination, status check on 194 (video transcript), 199 (aria processing), 203 (media
            descriptors), 204 (aria hidden)
         2. confirm next meeting; identify next scribe; adjourn
         3. Issue 31b, Buggy Alts & Guidance: next steps
         4. Issue 31c: "Generator Exception" feedback on additional info requested
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

update on coordination, status check on 194 (video transcript), 199 (aria processing), 203 (media descriptors), 204 (aria
hidden)

   <Judy> scribe: Judy

   <JF> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ISSUE-194/TranscriptElement

   194 (video transcript)

   JF: Silvia updated proposal... transcript element and transcript attribute
   ... not yet as clearly captured as needs to be
   ... had 5 to 6 hrs of conf calls, Silvia, Charles, Janina, John agreeing on approach
   ... still need the bits for the button; if fixed, I (JF) will withdraw my CP in deference to this
   ... couldn't connect w/ Ted as planned yet but will try today

   JS: and there were other suggestions to Silvia that we expect that Silvia is taking up; then I (JS) will take this to
   an A11Y consensus vote in the next day

   JF: and I sent email with additional changes including removing a sentence to which there was significant disagreement
   ... looking good for having one consensus proposal

   JS: plans to send CfC by 4pm Eastern tomorrow.

   <JF> scribe: JF

   JB: Issue (ARIA processing)

   JS: on Micheal, but have not heard anything specifically

   he is coordinating with Ted as well - don't anticipate any issues as there seemed to be substantive agreement at the
   F2F

   deadline for that is Thursday as well

   goal is to be able to discuss on the thursday WG call this week

   JB: 203 (media descriptors)

   JS: John's CP is in, not aware of any other CPs

   Issue 302?

   s/ Issue 302?/.

   <Judy> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

   <janina> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

   Deadline for counter-proposals is June 10th, 201

   JF: no other feedback from the Chairs - presume the current CP meets the requirements based upon the request for
   counter CPS

   <Judy> ACTION: JB and JS remind H5CC's that JF's 203 CP may need an actual review before this actually goes fwd
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/05/22-text-minutes.html#action01]

   JB: 204

   <Judy> Issue 204 (ARIA hidden)

   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

   <laura> Hi

   JS: waiting to see if Ben will produce a CP

   will need to happen quickly too

   this is with the WG and the Chairs to see if Ted/Jonas/Matt to withdraw their other CP

   LC: do you think that will succeed?

   JS: unsure

   If the other CP does not get withdrawn, then next steps is WBS

   Next step is on Ted

   JF: Hoping to chat with Ted this week (today) will ask him at that time about this as well

   JS: If this goes to survey, then I've requested that the details section be written in plain english and not a diff

   JB: hope that this is resolved quickly
   ... we need to understand what will be in Section 7.1

   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/AllowAriaReferHidden

   http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=6979&to=6980

   <janina> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Correct_Hidden_Attribute_Section_v3#Details

   cp says: "Revert the change made at the request of the HTMLWG Chairs in http://html5.org/r/6980 to make the W3C version
   of the spec consistent with the WHATWG version of the spec. "

   JS: Just want to be sure that this is done *before* the survey

   JB: so essentially this is very difficult to read, and almost impossible via a Screen Reader

   JS: yes

   <Judy> ACTION: JB and JS remind H5CCs of need for English prose proposed change not only diff of proposed change,
   *BEFORE* the thing goes to survey, if going to survey... [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2012/05/22-text-minutes.html#action02]

   <Judy> JF: Firefox implementation

   <Judy> JB: Concerned about how this affects resolution of 204 -- (no, 30)

   <Judy> ...invitation to dialog on this

   <Judy> JF: will think and talk w/ you if have ideas

confirm next meeting; identify next scribe; adjourn

   zakimj, take up item 8

Issue 31b, Buggy Alts & Guidance: next steps

   <laura> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-html5-20120329/editing.html#the-hidden-attribute

Issue 31c: "Generator Exception" feedback on additional info requested

   JS: Laura posted link about what background on the Firefox issue (Item 7/Issue 204)

   <Judy> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012May/0094.html

   JB: Generator Exception

   don't have a draft for updated CP yet

   link is to Sam's email

   re-read the response numerous times. There is a lot of detail about what would make the CP stronger

   worth looking at those details and the kinds of evidence being asked for

   Chairs have already agreed to take anecdotal evidence when provided

   looking to get statements from trainers - people who do training

   ack

   <Zakim> JF, you wanted to talk about glazou's comments

   JB: gathering up additional evidence
   ... the magic semantics issue was seen as new information p not sufficient in itself, but with other points would be
   sufficient

   the issue of inequitable rendering. Unsure what could be presented as evidence, as it seems self-evident; and that
   doesn't seem as high a priority item to pursue compared to some others, so will leave as is.

   sufficient evidence of harm - taken as non-evidence. What specific evidence

   since this is such an important argument will re-evaluate

   obviates intent of validator is also critical

   JB: fatal ambiguity issue - people started to re-define what is "hand authoring" - don't think this is able to be
   handled as a bug, and that seems an important point to clarify -- e.g., the point is that any "fix" on that would be
   inadequate.

   <Judy> jb adds remaining notes from discussion for processing the meta generator feedback: problem with precedence of
   auth tool over end user requirements, that point can also be made through "do no harm"; inconsistent & obscure
   weighting of objections, that point can be made off-line; breaking harmonization, that point is important to convey,
   from w3c pov, to all wg's.

   <Judy> subsequent discussion confirmed those approaches.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: JB and JS remind H5CC's that JF's 203 CP may need an actual review before this actually goes fwd
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/05/22-text-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: JB and JS remind H5CCs of need for English prose proposed change not only diff of proposed change,
   *BEFORE* the thing goes to survey, if going to survey... [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2012/05/22-text-minutes.html#action02]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Tuesday, 22 May 2012 23:42:37 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 22 May 2012 23:42:45 GMT