video and long text descriptions / transcripts

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:52:39 -0700
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi all,

I would like to see a (civilized) discussion of a core question that
relates to the issues 194 and 203 [2] for video.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194
[2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

We keep talking about "long text descriptions for videos" and
"transcripts" as separate things. There is an implied assumption that
we need two different solutions for these, which I would like to
challenge.

The question I'd like to see discussed is this:
Do we need more than one type of long textual description linked with
a video element?

I.e. do we need both a solution for transcripts and for long textual
descriptions?

To explain my reasoning in more detail:
--
The main accessibility user that we are minting a solution for by
attaching a long text description to a video element is a deaf-blind

In my understanding, a deaf-blind user would be best served with a
long text description that is a transcript of everything being said in
the video plus a description of everything that is visible in the
video (and contributes to the semantics). Such a long textual
description is exactly what I call a "transcript" (or "transcription"
which is likely more inclusive of the scene description information).

Therefore I conclude that the only programmatically linked long
description that we need for the video element is a transcription.
--

Please disagree with me, so we can better understand the use cases
(but let's stay civilized - I am not trying to suppress anyone's

Regards,
Silvia.