Re: aria-describedat

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:54:07 +0100, Leif Halvard Silli
<xn--mlform-iua@målform.no> wrote:

> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis, Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:28:11 +0000:
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Charles McCathieNevile
>> <chaals@opera.com> wrote:
>>> Except that in HTML that fragment is not certain to be a container
>>> (e.g.
>>> div, p) - if it is a heading element, you don't get what you wanted.
>>> Unless
>>> we make a new restriction on how HTML *should* be written.
>>
>> I think you'd just need to state that the fragment *acts as* the
>> description, rather than identifying the position (the start) of the
>> description.
>>
>> It might (?) make sense to restrict the HTML or ARIA semantics that
>> conformingly act as description fragments so as to exclude headings.
>
> I think we 'just' need to say what authors *MUST* do: point to an
> existing fragment. And then, if they point to an non-existing fragment,
> then - in fact - per the way browsers handle it, the entire page would
> be in scope, no?

Sure. But some authors, whatever we say, will point to the h3 element and
not realise that it doesn't include the following stuff that is the
description they worked so hard on.

I am prepared to live with a certain failure rate in order to make an
improvement, but it is worth trying to maximise the benefit and so worth
thinking about how things will go wrong when people are trying to do the
right thing.

cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk