(unknown charset) Re: aria-describedat

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 07:02:06 +0100
To: (unknown charset) Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: (unknown charset) Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, w3c-wai-pf@w3.org, public-html-a11y@w3.org, laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com, George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>, david.bolter@gmail.com, jbrewer@w3.org, faulkner.steve@gmail.com, mike@w3.org
Features:

* Should an element be able to have both @aria-describedAT
  and @aria-describedBY on the same element?

* When linking to a page-internal element, why prefer describedAT
  over describedBY? What is the difference, for the user?

* Should describedAT be allowed to point to hidden elements? Note
  that this would permit using the :target{} selector to make
  hidden content visible.

Name features:

Silvia Pfeiffer, Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:28:34 +1100:
> Hmm, can we break out completely with something simpler? I was
> considering @transcription for video, which would in a long
> description transcribe everything that happens in a video (not just
> what is being said). Could @transcription work on images? On canvas?

I'll defend the current name. To use the aria- prefix, does at least do
two good things:

* It follows an established pattern within ARIA. Why is
  describedAT so 'special' that it needs a unique naming style?
  A single attribute without the prefix only sounds confusing.
* It learns from the antipattern set by @longdesc and @summary:
  Unique names for seldom used/seen attributes is no good. Better
  with an often seen prefix for a range of related attributes.

@aria-DESCRIBEDat, is not completely void of benefits:

* It indicates relationship to aria-DESCRIBEDby
* The 'AT' part has hyperlink connotations - @.
* Less technical than 'fooURL' and leads the thought towards the
  content that one points to and thus delegitimizes misuse.
--
Leif Halvard Silli