RE: aria-describedat

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Basically, I think what we need is a kind of "overlay"-functionality
> for the document/fragment linked to. As soon as the link is activated,
> that document/fragment becomes the new document temporarily with a
> simple means to return to it. The best visual rendering of this that I
> can think of are "overlay" or "popup" or more generally a "modal
> window".

Approximately a year ago I asked a friend of mine to knock together a proof
of concept of a similar idea I had back then. Cost me a bottle of Port, but
was well worth it to me (yes folks, JF pays up for work done, even if the
currency is more liquid than most)

See Dirk's example here:
http://blog.ginader.de/dev/jquery/longdesc/examples/webaim/index.php

There are some keyboard issues, but it's on GitHub so if anyone wants to
take a stab at cleaning it up, have at it.

> If we render it in this way, then it's not added to the
> browser history, does not move you away from the current document, and
> keeps the focus until you're finished with consuming the description.
>
> While we do not need to require the implementation to be done in this
> way, it would be good to recommend such a rendering approach.
>
> So this means we have:
>
> * a visual indicator on top of the element (maybe an icon such as the
> one I found here:
> http://adobeperson.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/photoshop-study-book-
> logo-icon6.gif)
> - this indicator would only appear briefly when having mouse focus or
> keyboard focus and disappear again; it would be in the shadow DOM and
> people would be able to style it
>
> * an additional link in the context menu, as well as an announcement
> of its availability to the screenreader with a defined keyboard
> shortcut to activate it (we'll have to think about what to do with
> touch devices)
>
> * a modal window display when activated with a "close" button
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes.

JF