HTML working group does NOT dictate what ARIA can and can't do

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:41:01 -0500
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>, "Paul Cotton" <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Cc: jbrewer@w3.org, public-html-a11y@w3.org, janina@rednote.net, w3c-wai-pf@w3.org

Sam, Paul,

Don't start breaking all of industry's implementations with hacks like
this. HTML5 does NOT control the ARIA spec.

ARIA 1.1 will have a better version of longdesc in it that is properly
specified and which will provide direction for mainstream value add.

Here is a post of an unofficial draft as ARIA 1.1 does not start until
mid-summer and because it has not gone into an ARIA specification draft.

See this post:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Mar/0268.html

This post is to multiple public lists. I have stopped posting to
public-html as I have found that the editor seldom looks at it - also Paul
reads the public-html-a11y list. I will be working with user agent
manufacturers to get this implemented.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger