Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

On Mar 20, 2012, at 14:46 , Janina Sajka wrote:
> So, are you so certain we're wrong that you would keep that debate going
> just on principle? Why not just get the markup specified so that we can
> move on together to the more interesting list of a11y support features?

I am frustrated at the priorities.  We have spent thousands of hours on longdesc, and probably tens on longdesc for video, and essentially none on a whole host of much more real problems than longdesc-for-poster.  If we solve longdesc-for-poster and fail to do anything for video description, video transcript, etc., then the hypothetical user in my example will be able to get what I showed: a beautiful, detailed description of one visually representative or suggestive frame, but still no possibility of learning what the video would have taught them if they had been able to view it.  That's simply wrong. That user has been let down by our lack of focus.

We're putting up an umbrella on a ship that has a hole in its bottom.  Yes, it keeps a little of the rain off.  But...

David Singer