Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

David Singer writes:

> On Mar 20, 2012, at 13:15 , Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> > David Singer writes:

> >> A long description of a video should (if it were to exist at all) describe the *video*.  The poster is merely a transient representation of the video before it plays.  If someone needs a non-timed, readable, rendition of the content of the video, they don't need a long description of the poster.
> >>
> >> Scenario: a how-to video on how to bid on an online auction site.  The poster image shows a bidding card (as used in live auctions) and a five dollar bill.  The user asks for a long description of the video.  How useful is it to be told "The background is plain white. The number 242 is shown on a white card, on a stick. The card is slightly crumpled at the edges; the numerals are in a black sans-serif font, and occupy the whole card. Below the card is a single five dollar bill.  The bill is shown with the image of Lincoln face up; it appears to be rather old, with the colors no longer sharp, and visible crumpling. There is a small tear in the top right-hand corner. The bill overlaps the bottom end of the stick, which is, as a result, invisible."
> >>
> >> ????
> >

> > It's not just about utility. There are descriptions that might attempt
> > to capture artistic, or historic, or cultural aspects. These are
> > increasingly useful in the realm of audio and video.
> >

> > So, David, specifically from your example, I found I rather appreciated
> > your description. I would hate to think it would be globally denied for
> > lack of a simple markup mechanism.
> >

> But you are missing my point.  The accessibility-needing user needed a description of the VIDEO, they wanted to learn how to bid!  They got something that was maybe artistic but useless to them.

Ah, but it's not the role of the poster, nor is it the role of the video
element itself alone to educate anyone on how to bid. That's what the video is about.
You have to play the video to learn. Ergo, the accessible alternative
media representation is where the disabled user gets that information,
i.e. from the captioning, or the descriptive video, etc., as enumerated
in our Requirements document:
http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/

Janina

> David Singer