Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

On Mar 19, 2012, at 23:43 , Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> For the video element, then I am open to consider the idea of that
> @longdesc could point to a poster description: It makes some sense, as
> the poster is an image. But I have so far not included that in the CP.

A long description of a video should (if it were to exist at all) describe the *video*.  The poster is merely a transient representation of the video before it plays.  If someone needs a non-timed, readable, rendition of the content of the video, they don't need a long description of the poster.

Scenario: a how-to video on how to bid on an online auction site.  The poster image shows a bidding card (as used in live auctions) and a five dollar bill.  The user asks for a long description of the video.  How useful is it to be told "The background is plain white. The number 242 is shown on a white card, on a stick. The card is slightly crumpled at the edges; the numerals are in a black sans-serif font, and occupy the whole card. Below the card is a single five dollar bill.  The bill is shown with the image of Lincoln face up; it appears to be rather old, with the colors no longer sharp, and visible crumpling. There is a small tear in the top right-hand corner. The bill overlaps the bottom end of the stick, which is, as a result, invisible."

????

David Singer