Re: Expanding longdesc use

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:47:10 -0400
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
David Singer writes:
> But 'normal content' is often not 'visible' today anyway - common web design hides stuff and does appealing appearance (slide-in, and so on) when wanted. I am not sure I agree with either of (a) if the description is part of the 'normal content' it'll annoy 'normal users' or (b) the affordance, if needed, that shows the description, should be specific to accessibility users.  Both the content and the affordance may need *identifying* ('this links to the long description of that'), and again, not really specifically for accessibility users, though their software needs this discoverable link.

David,

Might you have missed Laura's response earlier today? She points out
that the TF backed CP on longdesc isn't limited to AT. This is actually
discussions on this topic--years ago. We listened, in other words,
because we agree.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2012Mar/0154.html

Janina

> David Singer