Re: Drop longdesc, get aria-describedat?

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 07:10:53 +0000
To: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Michael Smith <mike@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 6:33 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> In the tools that support @longdesc, they do deliver on all 3 requirements,
> whereas today the Accessibility APIs have no mechanism in place to deliver
> the second and third functions: the AAPI can express that a thing is a thing
> (discoverability, via role and state), but the key other requirement of
> user-choice is a scripted-like function that the APIs currently cannot
> handle, because there is NOTHING in the Accessibility APIs that deliver
> these functions

Not entirely true. See for example:

    https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XPCOM_Interface_Reference/IAccessibleAction#doAction()

   https://blogs.msdn.com/b/winuiautomation/archive/2010/12/08/uia-custom-patterns-part-1.aspx

> Additionally, "hiding" the longer text description using an ARIA mechanism
> *does* break the requirement for HTML rich content, as content not rendered
> on screen *is* processed by the APIs as string text today.

Also not entirely true, as I've pointed out to you before some of the
APIs support specifying accessible relations:

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0026.html

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis