Re: Drop longdesc, get aria-describedat?

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 20:33:42 +0100
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Cc: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Leif Halvard Silli, Wed, 7 Mar 2012 20:04:16 +0100:
> Janina Sajka, Wed, 7 Mar 2012 16:47:51 +0000:

>>> Question: Is there a chance that "we could do" @aria-describedat *now*?
>>> I am convinced that the chances for a amicable solution would increase
>>> greatly if one could move from talk to action with regard to
>>> @aria-describedat.
>>
>> You're asking the core question, imho. I wish we could simply say "yes"
>> and be done with it,
>
>> Unfortunately, ARIA-DescribedAt doesn't exist anywhere except on our "To
>> Do" list.
>
> So, the process is the reason we can't say 'use @aria-describedat' ...

What if the HTML WG and/or the A11Y task force started to write a
specification *only* for @aria-describedAT, as an extension to both
HTML5 and ARIA.

Or, even better - may be: This specification could define @longdesc as
an ARIA attribute. By which I mean that instead of @aria-describedAT,
we could just reuse @longdesc. This way we turn  - I would think -
@longdesc into a pure A11Y/ARIA attribute.

Note, that one of the options that the Change Proposal process allows
is precisely to write a separate spec - an extension.
--
Leif Halvard Silli