Re: Issue 31c: Meta generator

Hi Henri,

> Or even better, a boolean option built into the validator's UI.
>
> That would not address the problem. Let's recap what problem the spec
> is trying to address: The spec is trying to remove the incentive for
> generator developers to emit empty alt when their generator doesn't
> have or logically cannot have proper alternative text it could stick
> into alt. If suppressing reporting of missing alt was under the
> control of the person who invokes the validator instead of the person
> who programs the markup generator, the person who programs the markup
> generator would still be incented to make the generator emit empty alt
> in order to make the generator always produce valid output so that the
> generator appears to be correct in the eyes of people who judge it by
> validating its output.

I suggest that a message be provided in the reulsts for pages that include
any error suppression in a similar format to this currently displayed in
the nu markup service:

*Info*: Using the schema for HTML5 + SVG 1.1 + MathML 2.0 + RDFa Lite 1.1 +
> Microdata.

for example:

*Info*: meta name="alternative_text" content="nowarn" , suppressing missing
> alt attribute errors

regards
Stevef

--