RE: [media] progress on video transcript discussion

David MacDonald wrote:

> Good discussion....
>
> Sylvia's suggested code snip for the use case of embedded video:
>
> <video src="video.mpg" aria-label="video with transcript below"
> transcript="@this_page#transcript"></video>
>
> I think this would confuse a blind user... double message..."transcript
> below", and transcript linked from video element... but there is no
> transcript below... just the linked transcript from within the video
> element
> ... maybe the linked version should drop the aria label, or change to
> say
> "video available" or something...

My larger issue is focused on reaching for ARIA every time an accessibility
question comes up. I am a huge fan of ARIA, and rejoice in how much support
we increasingly see from AT tools for ARIA. I am thrilled to see it being
used more and more every day in mainstream development, but we must all
remember that it is designed for (and currently only works with) AT tools,
which only cover a small percentage of people with disabilities.

The programmatic linkage that we require should be one which *all* users
(and developers) can take advantage of. I have held stead-fast on requiring
a solution which would allow developers to expose the presence of a
transcript as part of the common controls associated to the media player. It
can be a button, or a drop-down, or something new and imaginative; the
transcript itself can render in an adjacent div or iframe (or newly minted
transcript element) or separate window or tab, or offer to be downloaded and
saved locally - or any combination of the above. If the browsers vendors
themselves are unsure of exactly how this should look and feel today, then I
can support a period of experimentation in the wild to see what works and
what doesn't - if the linkage is there NOW then that early 'other stuff' can
be scripted experiments. I remain convinced however that the discovery and
switching mechanism needs to be part of the total "user is interacting with
the video (media) experience", and not shunted off elsewhere with nothing
more than a weak ID string, an <a href> and an aria-property tying it back
to the main element. I think we can and should do better than that.

Using ARIA here should almost be a last-resort and not a first choice when
addressing accessibility issues (IMHO) for the simple reason that it *only*
interacts with AT tools - until such time as the Browsers themselves
directly map interaction to aria roles, states and properties and expose
those interactions to all users. HTML5, while adopting all of ARIA as part
of conforming HTML5, also replicates much of ARIA (landmark elements versus
aria-landmark roles), and often with uneven results (just look at the uneven
experience we get with @hidden versus aria-hidden today). I hope for the day
we can use ARIA for all users' user-experiences, but remain skeptical I will
ever see it.

JF