Re: bug Bug 11891 - add role attribute to list of global attributes and add definition for it (part of Issue 199)

The ARIA spec addresses valid role tokens at
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/host_languages#host_general_role

I think there are more details to add to that for inclusion in HTML,
mainly just a matter of pulling together stuff from various parts of the
ARIA spec. I was looking at the ARIA lexical processing issues and now
have an idea of what needs to be minted. I'll take a look at the document
you started when I get back and see how I can help out on that.

Michael

> Hi rich,
>
> Or would it be better to say something like
>
> "Valid role tokens consist of the non-abstract role values defined in
> [WAI-ARIA]" ?
>

> regards
> steve
>
> On 28 January 2012 09:04, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rich
>>
>> ben wrote:
>>
>> "Where does the WAI-ARIA spec define valid role tokens, though?"
>>
>> looks like *XHTML Vocabulary <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab/> -
>> defines list of allowable role tokens.*
>> *
>> *
>> *Is that correct?*
>> *
>> *
>> *regards*
>>  *Steve*
>>

>> On 27 January 2012 18:23, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <
>> bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> the
>>> context of the document. The attribute takes as its value one or more
>>> space-separated-tokens representing its role(s). The attribute
>>> describes
>>> the role(s) the current element plays in the context of the document.
>>> This
>>> can be used, for example, by applications and assistive technologies to
>>> determine the purpose of an element. This could allow a user to make
>>> informed decisions on which actions may be taken on an element and
>>> activate
>>> the selected action in a device independent way. A valid-role-token is
>>> defined by [WAI-ARIA].
>>>
>>> Seems reasonable. Where does the WAI-ARIA spec define valid role
>>> tokens,
>>> though?
>>>
>>> For example, how would an HTML conformance checker determine if
>>> "accordion" is a valid role token?
>>>
>>> The spec defines some roles, but also says user agents may extend them
>>> with new roles and that future specs will define how to use these new
>>> roles interoperably. It does say that "Content authors MUST NOT use
>>> abstract roles because they are not implemented in the API binding".
>>>
>>> Should HTML conformance checkers:
>>>
>>> 1. Allow any token that is not an abstract role defined in WAI-ARIA
>>> (e.g. allow "accordion" and "checkbox" but forbid "input"?
>>>
>>> 2. Reject any token that is an abstract role defined in WAI-ARIA and
>>> additionally require the token list to begin with a concrete role
>>> defined in WAI-ARIA (e.g. allow "accordion" and "checkbox" but require
>>> "checkbox" to come first).
>>>
>>> 3. Reject any token that is not a concrete role defined in WAI-ARIA
>>> (e.g. reject "accordion" and "input" whereever they occur in the token